100 Foods To Eat Before You Die

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJstout

Reaction score
This list has been making the rounds of the internet for a while.

"They" say most people have tried about 20 things. How many have you tried?

1. Abalone

2. Absinthe

3. Alligator

4. Baba Ghanoush

5. Bagel and lox

6. Baklava

7. Barbecue ribs

8. Bellini

9. Bird’s Nest Soup

10. Biscuits and gravy

11. Black Pudding

12. Black Truffle

13. Borscht

14. Calamari

15. Carp

16. Caviar

17. Cheese fondue

18. Chicken and waffles

19. Chicken Tikka Masala

20. Chile Relleno

21. Chitterlings/Chitlins

22. Churros

23. Clam Chowder

24. Cognac

25. Crabcake

26. Crickets

27. Currywurst

28. Dandelion wine

29. Dulce de leche

30. Durian

31. Eel

32. Eggs benedict

33. Fish Tacos

34. Foie Gras

35. Fresh Spring Rolls

36. Fried Catfish

37. Fried Green Tomatoes

38. Fried Plaintain

39. Frito Pie

40. Frog’s Legs

41. Fugu

42. Funnel Cake

43. Gazpacho

44. Goat

45. Goat’s milk

46. Goulash

47. Gumbo

48. Haggis

49. Head Cheese

50. Heirloom Tomatoes

51. Honeycomb

52. Hostess Fruit Pie

53. Huevos Rancheros

54. Jerk Chicken

55. Kangaroo

56. Key Lime Pie

57. Kobe Beef

58. Lassi

59. Lobster

60. Mimosa

61. MoonPie

62. Morel Mushrooms

63. Nettle Tea

64. Octopus

65. Oxtail Soup

66. Paella

67. Paneer

68. Pastrami on Rye

69. Pavlova

70. Phaal

71. Philly Cheesesteak

72. Pho

73. Pineapple and cottage cheese

74. Pistachio Ice Cream

75. Po’ boy

76. Pocky

77. Polenta

78. Prickly Pear

79. Rabbit Stew

80. Raw Oysters

81. Root Beer Float

82. S’mores

83. Sauerkraut

84. Sea Urchin

85. Shark

86. Snail

87. Snake

88. Soft Shell Crab

89. Som Tam

90. Spaetzle

91. Spam

92. Squirrel

93. Steak Tartare

94. Sweet Potato Fries

95. Sweetbreads

96. Tom Yum

97. Umeboshi

98. Venison

99. Wasabi Peas

100.Zucchini Flowers

Kool thread. I have had at least 74-76 of these. Maybe more but didn't know. For example squirrel. May have had it in Mexico, no lie.

Looks awesome to me. Now someone (me) should do it in a week. But the absence of beer is troubling.

I did that on Facebook, and ended up with 90.

The oddest thing is that I've many of those in the last 30 days! Raw oysters was a staple on the Gulf Coast, and there were some good Japanese and Vietnamese (and Thai) restaurants as well.

Just in the beginning of March, I had sushi several times (with weird cooked baby octopus), raw oysters, gumbo, alligator, BBQ ribs, calamari, Tom Yum soup, and so on. That is NOT my typical diet, but I loved it all!

Venison is one of my daily staples, so it doesn't really "count" for an odd food for me while morels are just getting ready. But as a hunter-gatherer it's commonly had for us.

Damn I feel bad now (not really) Ive maybe five of them. Honestly I don't see much on that list that makes me want to run out and try it either.

There are only about eight things on that list I've never had. Now, that doesn't mean I LIKED all the ones I have tried. While I enjoy goat quite a bit, I can do without drinking their milk, thank you VERY much!!!

37. Not too bad considering I live in the boonies and never traveled much. Many of them wild critters or junk food.

I think this is a cool list! I might have to hunt down recipes or places to buy some of this and try them.

I'm kind of disappointed that spam is on there. It's neither special or rare. And many would discount it's tastiness.

I've had 96 of them. Muti-cultural household.

To this list I would add;

Tripe Satay, Cabeza Taco, Blood Bone soup, Roti Chanai, Air Batu Champur as some other food to try before you die.

Only tried 85 so far.

Looks like I've got still got some work to do.

12. Black Truffle
15. Carp
16. Caviar
26. Crickets
28. Dandelion wine
30. Durian
48. Haggis
51. Honeycomb
62. Morel Mushrooms
63. Nettle Tea
69. Pavlova
70. Phaal
79. Rabbit Stew
89. Som Tam
92. Squirrel

I have had Rabbit, but not Rabbit Stew. I have been close to trying Durian a couple times, but it smells so hideous that I couldn't get myself to put it in my mouth. I have had vindaloo but not phaal, mostly because vindaloo is spicy enough for me; I don't need to go beyond that. But I suppose if that were the only thing left on my list, I could tolerate it just to cross it off.

I have tried and enjoyed 58 of these. What you may find interesting is that my hubby's dad owned a popular drive–in (a la A&W) called the Frost Top in Billings, Montana, several years back. He grew up there, making homemade root beer... and until he met me had not had the distinct pleasure of enjoying either a root beer float, or a BLT.

did this on Facebook today, 85 for me.

Best one on the list? Abalone -- found it when I was living in Chile at a seashore restaurant. Made my day!

Saffron is also pretty pricey (by weight) but you never hear anyone complaining about that. They are similar in that a tiny bit goes a long way in terms of flavor.

I haven't had black truffle on its own before, but I've had stuff with black truffle in it, and I have some black truffle oil. Even just a drop or two of that in a dish is more than enough to infuse an extremely rich flavor throughout. I have never had them straight even though I have seen it from time to time on menus, because I feel like my palate would be fatigued too easily from the flavor.

I'm at 70 and counting. To be honest I feel I should have more since I consider myself a foodie.

I also think Bone marrow should be added to the list, rich beef flavor without all the pesky chewing you have to do with steak. I purchased a couple bones from the store the other day and the cashier said,"Oh I give those to my dogs too, they love 'em huh!" I told her they were for my roommate and I and she gave me the most disgusted look. Damn shame.

I have always wanted to try sweetbreads.

Hey Wolfhound sweetbreads are amazing. Couple weeks ago I had the best sweetbreads I have ever had at a gastropub here in Dallas. give them a go, you wont be disappointed.

Ryan

I've had a BUNCH of food, and I'm only 26. I keep remembering an occasion where I had this food, or that food, mostly prepared bvy family friends etc, but gee. I can't bleive the 3 I still haven't had. I wodul have expected I'd have tried that by now.

squirrel morrel mushrooms, rabbit stew

Back