Wort sitting in kettle, ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBoogieMan133

Reaction score
Hey everyone I was recently in the middle of a brew day and my burner broke. I ordered a replacement and just got it in. I had gotten to the point of running off my mash when the burner broke so I put the top on my kettle and let it sit. I just went to taste the wort before I continued with the boil and it has a definite sour quality. Has anyone had this happen? Will the boil correct these issues? Or is it trash? Let me know, thanks.

The sour won't go away - if you want to experiment making a sour beer, you've got the opportunity. It's most likely wild lacto - I've done it once before and it turned out ok.

The fact that it's sour should give you an idea that it's not normal. Once it dropped below 120 degrees Lactobasillus took hold. Some people intentionally sour part of their wort, by letting it go for 12-24 hours, to make sour beers. They then boil it as normal. But it does have a distinctive sour funky flavor. I don't know how long it was for your wort, but it's not going to be that pleasant.

The sour taste might be the result of an infection. Some people like those results, some brewers go out of their way to achieve those results.

You just got to ask yourself a few questions. Am I feeling lucky today? Do I have the bottles and fermenter space to be adventurous and try a sour beer? If yes; just ferment it, bottle and condition.

Question? Who really knows what your beer will evolve into if you bring it to fruition?

Answer: You.

Latest posts

Back