Generic Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrb

Reaction score
What DO ya think???? (It was a BYO Clone)

Type: Extract

Batch Size: 5.00 gal

3 lbs 12.0 oz Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 27.6 %
6 lbs 9.6 oz Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 48.5 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 7.4 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 7.4 %
8.0 oz Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 3.7 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3.7 %
4.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 1.8 %
3.10 oz Cluster [7.00%] (60 min) Hops 37.1 IBU
1.0 oz Horizon [13.00%] (2 min) Hops 1.9 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [Starter 3000 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.083 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.018 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.5 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.6 %
Bitterness: 38.2 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 36.3 SRM Color: Color

interestingly enough, the recipe in the byo 150 clone beers is slightly different:

OG 1.091/FG 1.022
IBU 75

3.75 light DME/6.6 light LME
carastan/brown/chocolate/crystal 120/roasted black barley
cluster/northern brewer/centennial

mrb; just made the same RIS from BYO. Did you catch the note in BYO for this brew ? They claim that it so well balanced that it's servable after a month of conditioning. I'm having a hard time thinking that this will be drinkable after a month ; any thoughts?

gresc said:
mrb; just made the same RIS from BYO. Did you catch the note in BYO for this brew ? They claim that it so well balanced that it's servable after a month of conditioning. I'm having a hard time thinking that this will be drinkable after a month ; any thoughts?

I have read that in the past but of course there are going to be a number of variables when you brew your version that could effect this. Heck, fermenting a touch warm will have an effect. Try em as you go and see when it matures.

I figure with a 5 gallon batch I can try a few after it has done the old 1-2-3. Then I can try a WHOLE LOT later on in it's aging process. I'm really looking forward to this.

The grain bill looks great, and the hops are plenty. I wouldn't use the California Ale yeast, though. I'd go with something a little cleaner in flavor.

OT - the title of this thread makes me laugh "Generic (Insert Brand Name) Beer."

I think Cal Ale is great, probably one of the cleanest ale yeast strains, but would suggest using two packs.

I have two vials of CA001 from WYeast. One is a bit on the older side - said that last month was it's past due date. The other vial is brand spankin' new. Thought that I'd actually use the old one and make a nice 3 Quart starter 3-4 days before I brew this. I don't have anything to spin the yeasties, but I can eyeball a decent dose of them little beasties.

Back