Favorite wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LILJONNYWV

Reaction score
What is your favorite wine to make and drink? I am new to wine making so I really don't have one yet, but I have a very berry wine and a pumpkin mess in the fermented.

I make cranberry and sour cherry wines every year and everyone loves them. Last year a banana/ginger wine was a winter time hit. Some new wines from last year that look promising are pomegranate and dried rose hips, but they will need a little more aging. And the Skeeter Pee for the hot days of summer never fails.

I make cranberry and sour cherry wines every year and everyone loves them. Last year a banana/ginger wine was a winter time hit. Some new wines from last year that look promising are pomegranate and dried rose hips, but they will need a little more aging. And the Skeeter Pee for the hot days of summer never fails.

Do you have a recipe for the banana/ginger wine? :D

Here is my recipe for the banana/ginger wine:

Bananas - 4.25 lbs
Ginger root - 6.5 oz
Raisins - 2.25 lbs
Sugar - 4.25 lbs
Water - 7 l
Yeast nutrient - 2 tsp
Yeast energizer - 1 tsp
Acid blend - 2 tsp
Pectic enzyme - 2 tsp
Tannin - 1 tsp
Campden tablets, yeast (I used premier cuvee)

Cut the ginger root and raisins into smaller pieces. Dissolve the sugar in 2.8 l of boiling water and mix it all in the primary. Slice the bananas, place in pot and add 0.5 l water. boil for 20 min. Strain the liquid into the primary and after it cools add the water and other ingredients. Let it ferment in primary for about a week, than rack to secondary. Rack again when the fermentation is finished. It clears fast on its own and is ready to drink after 6 months. Makes 10 l (2,5 gal).
Since my starting S.G. was high at 1.116 I would split the sugar next time.

so far my favorite is my red currant wine. this years came out very good. lol oh yeah it is the first i made and only one bottled so far. A guy i used to work with made an elderberry wine that i loved.

get out int the country in the older neighborhoods and look for fruit trees. and talk to people. most people that have fruit trees and and berries, don't mind sharing a few bags if they have plenty.
50 lbs blackberries
40 lbs figs
20 lbs blue berries
all in the freezer to make jelly jam and wine.
i missed the apples this year but i'm up to my ears in pears 6 bags and more coming.
and muscadines just starting to ripen.
thats one ove the saving graces of living in alabama.

Back