Brew Stand Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkirkland

Reaction score
Well i finally started my brewstand build last night. It will be a Brutus style stand made from 1.5in square steel tubing.

Ill post some pics as soon as i get them.

Anyone have a place to get a good deal on 3 banjo burners and a march pump? The cheapest 'ive been able to come up with is Northern Brewer for about $315 plus shipping.

Well i finally started my brewstand build last night. It will be a Brutus style stand made from 1.5in square steel tubing.

Ill post some pics as soon as i get them.

Anyone have a place to get a good deal on 3 banjo burners and a march pump? The cheapest 'ive been able to come up with is Northern Brewer for about $315 plus shipping.

I dont have a cheaper price...but, Austin Homebrew Supply has a sale on 23 jet hella burners for $59 (under there special tab), these are way better than the banjo burner...just my two cents!
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=12880

I am surprised that anyone is still using or recommending the multi-jet burners. IMO, they majorly suck. I'm sure they work very well with a wok, but that's about it.

I am surprised that anyone is still using or recommending the multi-jet burners. IMO, they majorly suck. I'm sure they work very well with a wok, but that's about it.

Agree, I've not used them personally so take my opinion for what it's worth, but it seems most people that get them also post about problems with them and the tricks needed to get them to function properly/at all.

I've used them a few times when brewing on my buddie's Brutus 15 clone. The problem is that there is no way to adjust the air/fuel ratio. The ratio is fixed and designed for the burner to run at full throttle. Additionally, full throttle on one of these babies puts out a humongous amount of heat. This is OK for the HLT and BK so long as you use enough heat shields to protect the thermometers, sight tubes, valves etc., but not so hot for a direct fired MT. You can work around the problem by firing the burner intermittently in short bursts. This works OK if you have the burner automated, but a major PIA if not. The banjos have a similar problem when used with a MT. If you turn the banjo down to an acceptable low flame level when mashing, the flame is easily blown out by the slightest draft or all gas ports don't immediately ignite. You can use the same kind of work around as with the wok burner if you are automated, but again, it's a major PIA without automation on the MT burner. I still prefer the 6" ring type burners for all around best performance and fuel economy. I did recently use a banjo on a SS 55 gal drum BK and it worked wonderfully for that application where it's power could be fully utilized. What we really need is an 8" diameter cast iron ring type burner with about 1/2 as many gas ports. I've thought about plugging half the ports in a banjo burner to calm it down some while still having a wide burner to better distribute the heat. Haven't done it yet, but it's on my list of things to try. I'm thinking that the ports could easily be plugged with small sheet metal screws which would be easy to install or remove. I'll post back after I give it a try.

I should cross my fingers while I say this...I have never had an issue with my multi-jet burners, but if there is a large following that has, then please disregard my recommendation!

I bought the 6" jet tip burners, from Bayou classic depot And they work great. But you are right none of the tip burners have a way to control the air flow. I have all the parts now to finish my brutus. So any problem with excess heat wont be a problem. This obsession will drain the bank. But well worth the effort. It is my addiction. I'll post the build in a new thread when finished. Good luck on your build. Cheers

I use the 6" jet tip burners under all three of my keggles and I'm quite pleased. The seem very efficient and get the job done fast. I wouldn't use any larger diameter because the flames lick up the side a wee bit as it is. I moderate the heat under the MLT by locating the burner an inch lower than the other two burners. The MLT has a heat diffuser between the burner and the keggle as well.

More pics to come but i have everything tack welded and ready for some burner placement

Photo_7B4D208E-0AB2-84B3-8916-8FDA7415CD24.jpg

mkirkland said:
artbrau, where did you get your heat diffuser? I would be interested in reading some more about that idea.

I should have mentioned I modded the old style SABCO brew magic. It has a plate under the MLT. You can see a picture of it in my thread "basement brewery build". Sorry, this iPad app won't let me copy the link.

I use the 20 tip jet burners and I love them. I know many people hate them. I use natural gas and drilled the jets with a 15ga drill bit, if I remember correctly. I set mine with the jet tip to kettle distance at about 14". This allors me to be able to keep a good gas flow and easily adjust them down. I probably would have bought a different style of burner had I known anything about brewing when I went in head first. I think the 10 tip would be more of the way to go with the jet burners, but I love my 20 tip burners.

Back