Brown Sugar Priming?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatherJack

Reaction score
Hey all,

I read before that some people used brown sugar for bottling some English ales and have achieved a little extra richness for flavors.

I'm wondering, has anyone ever bottled a stout with brown sugar? Did you notice any difference? Does anyone recommend it?

As always, many thanks!:mug:

Yes, stouts and porters lend themselves well to brown sugar priming. There is some residual flavor on the tongue in beers primed with darker sugars. It is subtle but there.

Oh...molasses...

Now you've confused me! haha

My stout is a simple stout (as it says in my signature)...do you think either would work ok?

Yes you can prime with just about anything. The trick is figuring out how fermentable it is and how much you need to achieve the volume of co2 you desire.

I have a priming chart for some stuff in my bottling thread.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/index3.html#post1114892

It was also discussed here.

Molasses as priming sugar

Last month's basic brewing radio was all about alternative priming methods.

October 28, 2010 - Alternate Priming Sugars
Home brewer Drew Filkins shares his technique of using alternative ingredients to put the bubbles in his brew.

Click to Listen-Mp3

Hydrometer readings and sugar content charts from HomeWinemaking.com http://www.home-winemaking.com/winemaking-2b.html

Thanks again Reverend. I'll have to think/research about it and decide on what kind of flavor i want:mug:

FYI, most brown sugar is just regular table sugar with molasses added. So, if you use brown sugar to prime, you're actually using both.

i was using some organic cane sugar for quite a few batches.
this last time i went with a lighter colored turbinado sugar that is in the bulk section at the grocery store here...

haven't brewed a similar recipe with different sugars but i'm sure the differences are subtle if even noticeable at all.

Back