Sculpin time!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bsquared

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I went to Ballast point / HBM to pick up Saturday supplies, and they had the Sculpin's! The cases where going fast, but I picked up two 750's...Ummm good

P8200001.JPG

Sculpin is my absolute favorite beer! It is really what sparked my interest in brewing. After tasting it, I really desired to make my own. You do not have the recipe for it, do you? I think the recipe is called "Polaris IPA" in the brew mart recipe book. I do not really have a chance to make it down there often. Good stuff!

Yes it's really good stuff, I've never tried to brew it, but the guys at the brew mart where talking about it being one of their favorite beers to make.

I love it as a cask, some thing about cask pulled hoppie beers gets my goat!

may be my next time there I'll try and coerce a recipe out of them...

I had Sculpin for the first time this week and was blown away by it. So much so that when I got home I poked around online for a recipe. This is what I found, but I can't vouch for the accuracy of it:

Alcoholic Onymous: Back to it - American IPA (Sculpin Clone)

I can. That's my failed attempt at a blog. I think it is pretty close to the one in the book at HBM. I think it came out a little too malty compared to the Sculpin that is being produced now. I think the recipe has morphed over the years. The most important part of that entire recipe though, is the dry hop. So perfect.

If I make this again, I'm dropping the 10L to 1/2 pound, but that's the only real change I'd make. I love Sculpin, and this batch that is out now is supposed to be perfect.

If I make this again, I'm dropping the 10L to 1/2 pound, but that's the only real change I'd make. I love Sculpin, and this batch that is out now is supposed to be perfect.

I think you are right about that one, The one I had last night was really balanced between hop and malt, and because it was so fresh, the hop aromas were something else.

Any reason for your yeast choice? I might try your recipe next month, but I'd use WL001, just because that's what I usually in this style.

I think you are right about that one, The one I had last night was really balanced between hop and malt, and because it was so fresh, the hop aromas were something else.

Any reason for your yeast choice? I might try your recipe next month, but I'd use WL001, just because that's what I usually in this style.

S-05 and WLP001 are essentially the same yeast. Same with Wyeast 1056, I think. They're all strains of the Sierra Nevada yeast and all perform pretty much the same. I use the dry yeast when I don't feel like making starters. That, and it is cheaper.

I can. That's my failed attempt at a blog. I think it is pretty close to the one in the book at HBM. I think it came out a little too malty compared to the Sculpin that is being produced now. I think the recipe has morphed over the years. The most important part of that entire recipe though, is the dry hop. So perfect.

If you drop it to .5 Lbs do you have to add more 2 row?

If you drop it to .5 Lbs do you have to add more 2 row?

Whoa. Ghost from the past. The only reason you'd want to do that is to keep your numbers the same. I doubt it'd do much to the beer of you just dropped it, though. So no, you don't HAVE to add 2 row, but you can if you'd like.

Back