Need advice Now!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
I miscalculated my numbers and added about 1 extra gallon to my boil pot.....

.5 gallon per sparge

About how long should I boil to boil off 1 gallon....I normally do 90 minute boils....

Also, I added bittering hops for the whole 90 minutes, do I still pull them out at 90 minutes???

Yikes....
Did you calc your IBU's for 90min boil?
There are a lot of variables at play....
How much do you usually boil off in the 90min boil? Whats your burner size?

I'd just split the difference, make a slightly larger volume the slightly longer boil will add additional bitterness so toss a little extra extract in to balance it all out....

Crank up your burner and if possible point a fan blowing across the top, you'll burn off more than normal.

I usually burn off 3 gallons in a 90 minute boil.....Is a lot, but I have my numbers all calculated for that and it seems to work for me....

Can I just pull the hop bag out at 90 minutes and contunue to boil or does it not work that way...

I usually burn off 3 gallons in a 90 minute boil.....Is a lot, but I have my numbers all calculated for that and it seems to work for me....

Can I just pull the hop bag out at 90 minutes and contunue to boil or does it not work that way...

Doesn't work that way. The oils will already be in the wort.

Boil until you have your correct boil volume, then add your hops and start your timer.

I realized it 45 minutes into the boil.....

I'll just boil for an extra 30 minutes and see what happens.....

Do the opposite, pull the hops, boil till you have the same volume as you would have for a 90 min boil then add the hops back in an boil for 90.

I realized it 45 minutes into the boil.....

I'll just boil for an extra 30 minutes and see what happens.....

If your hops are already in there, boiling them for 120 minutes instead of 90 won't really do much so don't worry. You get almost everything out of them at 60 minutes, and just a bit more at 90 minutes, so with more time it won't give you more measurable bitterness anyway. If you have more additions, though, time them from the end the usual way. That way you have your flavor/aroma hops correct.

Thanks for the quick replies.....I knew something didn't look right during the last running.....

Its a guiness clone, so no real flavor hops, all bitter....

Thanks

Back