Beer Laws : Hope this is not true for all of you there!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WyomingBrewer

Reaction score
•In the state of Maine, it is illegal to possess an unlabeled, unregistered keg - punishment is a maximum fine of $500 and/or time in prison. It is illegal to destroy the label on a keg, punishable by a maximum fine of $1,000 or 6 months in prison.

Sounds like a really stupid excuse to overflow the prison system. They gotta stop wasting so much of our money on dumb shizz. Help subzidise more breweries!!:ban::ban::ban:

I think this is to prevent kegs from being stolen which is a good thing, especially for the little brewer

•In the state of Maine, it is illegal to possess an unlabeled, unregistered keg - punishment is a maximum fine of $500 and/or time in prison. It is illegal to destroy the label on a keg, punishable by a maximum fine of $1,000 or 6 months in prison.

My question is do they mean keg when talking about a Corny Keg? I read on a different main legislation (I severely lack the motivation to research this more) that a keg is a container holding 7.75 gallons of liquid or more. Meaning a quarter keg or larger. If that's the universal case, than a 5 gallon korny or even a 1/6 keg wouldn't fall under it.

In my experience it is the same thing as they way they handled kegs when I was in college. I think it is a liability issue. In college if a party was busted for underage drinking they wanted to know who it was who supplied it. Of course they also went to the stores that sold kegs and read up on where they were so they could do drive-by's to try and bust you. Kind of Facist if you ask me.

But then this brings to question, if you were to purchase a decomissioned keg and fill it with homebrew, would you still be fined? I believe that more than anything else this applies to registered kegs that were purchased, with deposit, filled with commercial beer from stores and not regarding homebrewing.

When in doubt though, ask your friendly neighborhood policeperson. In addition to getting the police opinion on it, you also can make friends with them just in case.

That label is a little pink rectangle, about the size of two quarters, with a number on it. It has to do with tracking the keg if there is underage drinking.

I dont know anything about the law in Maine....Just came across on the internet and thought oh no! Seems like it could be used to punish a homebrewer if it is true.

Back