Brining in Ale Pail

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefMichael01

Reaction score
I suppose this could be in the cooking section of the forum, but I wanted to see if there would be any problems/reasons not to brine my T-Day turkey in one of my Ale-Pails? Obviously, after having a raw turkey in it I plan to clean with warm water+a mild detergent and then sanitize before use for beer. Just wanted to check if any flavors from the brine would remain after cleaning/sanitation.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving.

Mike

Not too sure if that would be a bad thing or not, but it would be interesting to see what a salmonella infection looks like in beer.

I agree....

Keep your brewing equipment separate from your cooking stuff, especially where foul is concerned...if you have one scratch in your ale pail, you're toast no matter if you clean and sanitize....

If you need a container that large go get a HD 5 dollar bucket.

I agree....

Keep your brewing equipment separate from your cooking stuff, especially where foul is concerned...if you have one scratch in your ale pail, you're toast no matter if you clean and sanitize....

If you need a container that large go get a HD 5 dollar bucket.

+1 I brined a turkey in a HD bucket last year and it worked fine. However, I never could clean it enough to get all of the smells from the spices/turkey out. I didn't care since it was just a bucket I bought for the brine, but if it was a beer bucket, I don't think I would have used it again for brewing.

Of course you could take out the turkey, half the brine and brew up a 2.5 gallon batch of wort and dump it in...and attempt to make a version of Cock Ale without the bird of course....

Cock Ale

I mean, if Jones can do Turkey flavored soda.....you could make turley brine flavored beer....

image_jonessoda_2003_bottles1.jpg

Yes, its not so much the turkey - and salmonella can't live in beer. Its the spices that will work their way into the plastic. A new bucket here costs $8 canadian so .... You could use it after the turkey to do pickles however....mmmm....pickles.

Those are actually better than some of them Jones has put out. They put out a dirt flavored soda a little while back.

That's actually quite disgusting... Thanks Jones *sigh*

I agree, just get another bucket. Then you can either keep it as a brining bucket or you can use it for any number of other things. You could also use this as an excuse to move to BBs/large carboys. ;)

Yes, its not so much the turkey - and salmonella can't live in beer. Its the spices that will work their way into the plastic. A new bucket here costs $8 canadian so .... You could use it after the turkey to do pickles however....mmmm....pickles.

But if there was a scratch and organic matter got into it and festerred, salmonella wouldn't be the only thing growing in there...

Of course you could take out the turkey, half the brine and brew up a 2.5 gallon batch of wort and dump it in...and attempt to make a version of Cock Ale without the bird of course....

Cock Ale

I mean, if Jones can do Turkey flavored soda.....you could make turley brine flavored beer....

image_jonessoda_2003_bottles1.jpg

Just add bacon and I'm getting a food inspired woody;)

I'll throw a wrench in the works here. You might want to look at some of the heated discussions on the cooking message boards on the subject of brining versus dry salting turkey prior to cooking.

There are some strong opinions both ways. The way they go on and on arguing as to which method is better.

Now you'd never catch us brewers doing that would you?;)

I brined in one of my 7.9 gallon Ale Pales last year. It worked out great. It's now my dedicated brining bucket.

I won't ferment in it again though.

I tempted fate and I brined in a bucket and then used it for fermenting.
I wouldn't do it again but it can be done
After brining I washed with dish soap.
rinsed
soaked with PBW
rinsed
soaked with bleach solution
rinsed
sanitized with star san before using.

Back