The War on Drugs: They've Finally Arrested All the Kingpins...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
...so now they're moving on to the smaller players.

FALMOUTH -- She was new in school, a demure blonde with a sob story.

With her mother dead and father chronically absent, the girl said, she needed to get high to kill the pain. For three months, students at Falmouth High bought her story and sold her the drugs she said she needed.

But yesterday, the real story emerged.

The girl who some students yesterday said they knew as Keane was in fact a fresh-faced cop whose three months at Falmouth High School culminated before the start of classes yesterday when nine teenage boys were led out of their homes in handcuffs on charges of selling her marijuana and ecstasy.

So you throw a beautiful young woman at some insecure high schoolers, have her make up some horribly sad story about her dead mother, and then get her to ask them to find her some weed. What do you think they're gonna do? I knew plenty of kids in school who never touched drugs that would have fallen for this scam. High school pu$sy is a powerful drug in itself, especially when it comes with a depressing sob story.

How do these bastards sleep at night? If there were any justice in this world, they would be the ones in cuffs. :mad:

adam h said:
I agree, very dirty and unnecessary trick.

The whole "war" is freaking unnecessary. I am not saying that every drug in the world should be legal and available at the local gas station, but putting otherwise law abiding citizens in jail for stuff like this is ridiculous.

The 'War on drugs' has become such a financial boon to police agencies, especially smaller ones or agencies with budgetary problems that we will see ever increasing instances of this kind of garbage.

It's about the money.

cubbies said:
The whole "war" is freaking unnecessary. I am not saying that every drug in the world should be legal and available at the local gas station, but putting otherwise law abiding citizens in jail for stuff like this is ridiculous.

well, why do you think we have the highest incarceration rate of any developed nation?

kornkob said:
The 'War on drugs' has become such a financial boon to police agencies, especially smaller ones or agencies with budgetary problems that we will see ever increasing instances of this kind of garbage.

It's about the money.

And power. Money & power.

I hate seeing money/effort/man power going into this petty crap. What's next?? Congress going after professional athletes? :cross:

The really sad thing is that if they are 17 and it was over 26 grams of weed (not sure about the X) they may end up with an adult felony. So now what are they going to do for the rest of their lives......probably end up in prison because they will NEVER be able to get a decent job. I know I would have fell into that trap....:p

wihophead said:
The really sad thing is that if they are 17 and it was over 26 grams of weed (not sure about the X) they may end up with an adult felony. So now what are they going to do for the rest of their lives......probably end up in prison because they will NEVER be able to get a decent job. I know I would have fell into that trap....:p

An ounce of pot is a felony there?

wihophead said:
In Wisconsin, if you get convicted of delivery it is.....

Yeah-- this isn't posession. They actually distributed it. That's the truly henious part of this sting. They enticed kids using one of the most potent motivators for a teen male (sex) into buying drugs. While I'm sure they dotted the eyes and crossed the t's and made good and sure that the undercover didn't suggest buying the drugs first (in order to avoid entrapment) I'm sure she made good and sure that the implied 'drugs=sex' connection was there.

c.n.budz said:
Something tells me that any decent judge will throw this out of court.

I wish I could believe that. Granted, they are not going to do any jail time, but they are going to be fined, given community service, probation, and possibly have to attend substance abuse programs. Not to mention, probably have their name smeared all throughout the town.

Thank god we don't have any more pressing issues that highschool kids smoking a little weed. That is seriously a f'd up approach. I would have fallen for that FOR SURE and I never did any drugs in High School.

c.n.budz said:
Something tells me that any decent judge will throw this out of court.

I wouldn't count on it.

The local DA has had his own extremely controversial record of going after VERY small-time offenders, arguably entrapping a few kids into selling a couple joints (kids who weren't dealers, just selling a couple joints out of their own stash to get this guy to leave them alone). He then nailed them not only as dealers, but dealing in a school zone. VERY shady.

cubbies said:
I wish I could believe that.

I have to go back to what Evan! said about kids that would never go near drugs getting weed for this girl. The cops set up a sting that these teenagers lacked the sophistication to figure out. And, as was said, ***** is a powerful motivator. Even if the judge doesn't throw this out due to police shenanigans, I'd think that a competent attorney will be able to get the kids off with no fines, penalties, or record.

I got caught with an ounce of pot when I was 19. Without hiring a lawyer I ended up doing 16 hours of community service and the charges were then dropped so nothing went on my record. If I could do that on a legitimate arrest with no attorney, you'd hope that an attorney could do better with these B.S. charges.

Hopefully these kids sold her the drugs for 'favors'. (wink... wink...)

Otherwise, it seems like we should be expecting a follow up story in a couple of months stating that the parents of these buys are filing suit against someone.

You know what's coming. They'll threaten and lean on the kids hard to give up their supplier. Same old story, same old song and dance.

c.n.budz said:
I have to go back to what Evan! said about kids that would never go near drugs getting weed for this girl. The cops set up a sting that these teenagers lacked the sophistication to figure out. And, as was said, ***** is a powerful motivator. Even if the judge doesn't throw this out due to police shenanigans, I'd think that a competent attorney will be able to get the kids off with no fines, penalties, or record.

I got caught with an ounce of pot when I was 19. Without hiring a lawyer I ended up doing 16 hours of community service and the charges were then dropped so nothing went on my record. If I could do that on a legitimate arrest with no attorney, you'd hope that an attorney could do better with these B.S. charges.

It all depends on how the DA wants to fight it. It's all politics, remember.

Here's a couple funny stories of consequences and hypocrisy:

The proceeds from an asset forfeiture are divided among the law-enforcement agencies involved in the case, a policy that invites the abuse of power. Former Justice Department officials have admitted in newspaper interviews that many forfeitures are driven by the need to meet budget projections. The guilt or innocence of a defendant has at times been less important than the availability of his or her assets. In California thirty-one state and federal drug agents raided Donald P. Scott's 200-acre Malibu ranch on the pretext that marijuana was growing there. Scott was inadvertently killed during the raid. No evidence of marijuana cultivation was discovered, and a subsequent investigation by the Ventura County District Attorney's Office found that the drug agents had been motivated partly by a desire to seize the $5 million ranch. They had obtained an appraisal of the property weeks before the raid.

In New Jersey, Nicholas L. Bissell Jr., a local prosecutor known as the Forfeiture King, helped an associate to buy land seized in a marijuana case for a small fraction of its market value. In Connecticut, Leslie C. Ohta, a federal prosecutor known as the Queen of Forfeitures, seized the house of Paul and Ruth Derbacher when their twenty-two-year-old grandson was arrested for keeping marijuana there. Although the Derbachers were in their eighties, had owned the house for almost forty years, and had no idea that their grandson kept pot in his room, Ohta insisted upon forfeiture of the house. People should know, she argued, what goes on in their own home. Not long after, Ohta's eighteen-year-old son was arrested for selling LSD from her Chevrolet Blazer. Allegedly, he had also sold marijuana from her house in Glastonbury. Ohta was quickly transferred out of the U.S. attorney's forfeiture unit -- but neither her car nor her house was seized by the government.

the_bird said:
It all depends on how the DA wants to fight it. It's all politics, remember.
Yeah-- and I'll bet that ADA that let you off without a fight didn't have to read about the case in the paper an take a strong 'moral stand' so that the current administration could show that they were 'hard on crime'.

Civil forfieture is a corrupting influence. It seemed like such a good idea when they first implemented it "Use the drug dealer's asssets to fight the crime that surrounds their enterprises" but what it has become is a budgetary tool and THAT is where the corruption sets in.

One example out of many that makes total sense on the face of it turning out to be a horible idea once implemented.

The boys should all say that the "girl" who was probably much older with them, had sex with them or something and get her on statutory charges. You know, fire with fire.

Setting aside the ethics of lying to implicate someone else in a crime in order to evade procecution for a crime you know you did, this presents problems.

If the undercover operation involved any sort of video tape or audio bug of conversations they had you could end up with obstruction, false report, etc added to your charges.

It's never a good idea to lie about your interactions with law enforcement and if you ARE going to, you need to keep your mouth shut until after your lawyer has recieved all the evidence in the case so you can make sure your lie isn't going to be exposed in the evidence.

In this case, the best things for these kids to do is get a lawyer and shut the hell up.

I am in law enforcement (nowhere near this!) and this is one hell of a mess they have here. It seems to me they had a problem with drugs at the local high school and sent this officer in. What amazes me is the resource of an officer going that deep undercover to nab a few kids selling dimebags and some ecstasy.

I would bet my bank account (not much) that someone is using these kids as a pawn to push their crap in the school. Why they wouldnt watch these kids for patterns and meeting with strange people with simple surveillance is beyond me. They could nab the REAL problem, the guy getting into the school through naive, and impressionable teenagers.

The only thing I will say is that ecstasy is becoming ever more popular with kids and it is VERY dangerous. I have heard too many stories of kids dehydrating, going into seizures, and ultimately dying from experimenting with the stuff.

The manner in which they are trying to protect the kids is IMO, absurd. Any judge worth his salt will toss this out. Hell, all they had to do was bring the kids into an interview, explain the penalties and say "give me the names" and they would have had the real problem link in the chain. :drunk:

No one ever died from smoking marijuana. You can look on the FDA site and the only drug who's side effect does NOT include death is marijuana. These cops are going after small potatoes, so is this entire war on drugs. Maybe if people were allowed to see druggies in their true form (whacked out 24-7), would they ACTUALLY be deterred away from use, or over-use. People need to be given the autonomy to make decisions for themselves... to use or not to use.

PS. 1 semester shy of a Criminal Justice degree and I hate the field... the most backwards mentalities rule this field.

noobrewer said:
PS. 1 semester shy of a Criminal Justice degree and I hate the field... the most backwards mentalities rule this field.

Depending on where you live you might want to reconsider. If its a small town the politics will put you in the loonybin. If its a big city the politics will get you there, as well as the liberal media and anti-cop groups.

The field is fast becoming less attractive for prospects for these reasons. This is no way defends cops who break the law and abuse their power (we all know there are way too many). The media is just a heck of a lot faster jumping on a story where a cop did wrong instead of the old "cop saves child from burning house". People want to read the negatives, not the positives.

Man we just got finished watching "American Gangster" and I was shocked at the end of the film. SHOCKED. I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen, although I suppose there are the historical accounts which I would imagine probably aren't far from the truth.

My buddy in school, his dad's girlfriend was a Park Ranger. Guess where she got her weed? From the other Park Ranger 'Pharmacy', confiscated from all those 'criminals' :D

it's all a bit shaky, true enough. but the one kid who had $3,500, presumably in cash, at his home - he's on a nice allowance, there.

Bored cops, too much time on their hands.
We have a problem here where the city council has been forced by the police into allowing them to be enforcers of federal law. California legalized Medical Marijuana Dispensaries in 1996, yet the weeeeeeed is still illegal acording to the feds. So the city coucil just voted to not allow the MMD's in our fair city.
I say if the feds are so smart, let them sniff out the criminals, don't turn our local cops into your lackies. The cops presented such a bogus one sided bunch of garbage at the city council meeting last week that it bordered on hilarious, Something right out of the old movie Reefer Madness. Yet the council bought it.
It is sad state of affairs when the police dictate policy.
JMHO
AP

Wow. That's just wrong.

You know what else is bad. About 5 years ago, Canada decided to decriminalize small amounts of Marijuana. As soon as the Conservative (similar to the Republicans) came in, they said that they wanted to change the law back to the way it was. I have no doubt that Mr. Bush (well, probably not him but the DEA) sent out a nice report saying how both countries should use cross-border enforcement of drug laws.

In case some of you were unaware (and good thing if you previously knew), the US Government is, in the "War on Drugs", spending billions ($12 Billion in 2005) doing such things as spraying fields of coca plants with herbicides to destroy the crops. The farmers who own those fields only accept to grow coca for two reasons: 1) they are so poor and coca is a good crop offering decent revenue (when they can get it sold) 2) they are sometimes (often times) threatened to grow it. There will always be someone in Colombia willing to grow the crop, so spraying current crops only moves the problem to another region of Colombia.

Back