Who's brewing 08-08-08 RIS? Post your notes here!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chriso

Broken Robot Brewing Co.
Reaction score
Are you brewing your 08-08-08 RIS? Post your experiences here! Are you brewing it right now? Tell us where you're at in your brew day! Anything and everything 08-08-08 related, at least in terms of the brew itself, can go here! Go wild! (Just keep your shirt on. Those cameras aren't really on.)

Just doughed in my AG batch. All I gotta say is.... Good LORD that's a whole lotta grain! 18 lbs into my tun, it's riding pretty high today! And 5.5 gal strike water, too! Yowzas.

The Hop gods smiled upon me, found some Magnum for my bittering, and got my stash of Goldings already in the freezer. Too bad the Magnum was $3/oz at my lhbs.

EDIT: This is getting interesting. I lost a bunch of the Magnum due to a untimely (and predicted) boilover. Added 1/2 oz hersbrucker to compensate. Also took an extra 5 1/2 gal of runnings (which still look dark) and am flipping those into a second runnings brew. Yay last minute changes.

EDIT EDIT: I'm boiling the 2nd runnings now. Good god this has been high-stress. So many things to break, so little time.

mlt3.jpg

Mash Tun, fairly full if I may say so. But more impressively, dark!

color_detail.jpg

There's some in the bottom of the pitcher and also in the syphon tube.

boil.jpg

This is while returning to a boil, immediately after the huge boil-over from my Magnum hop addition. :(

I had to do mine (steep/ extract) Thanksgiving weekend. It was more than double the biggest grain bill I had previously managed, but five weeks later the hydrometer samples are very very tasty...definitely worth the trouble.

I'll be doing mine in two weeks. I brewed a pale ale yesterday and will be pitching 888 onto the PA cake. Should be an entertaining ferment.

Evets said:
I'll be doing mine in two weeks. I brewed a pale ale yesterday and will be pitching 888 onto the PA cake. Should be an entertaining ferment.

Yes, head room would be a good idea. That or convince the wife that splattered chocolate brown is a nice decorating effect in you living room. I hear all the brewers are doing it this year!

The pics are great, thanks for the effort. As far as stress is concerned, it will be fine. Trust me!

The dogs ate 1.5 pounds of my pale chocolate. Good thing I bought 10 pounds!

chriso said:
Are you brewing your 08-08-08 RIS? Post your experiences here! Are you brewing it right now? Tell us where you're at in your brew day! Anything and everything 08-08-08 related, at least in terms of the brew itself, can go here! Go wild! (Just keep your shirt on. Those cameras aren't really on.)

Just doughed in my AG batch. All I gotta say is.... Good LORD that's a whole lotta grain! 18 lbs into my tun, it's riding pretty high today! And 5.5 gal strike water, too! Yowzas.

The Hop gods smiled upon me, found some Magnum for my bittering, and got my stash of Goldings already in the freezer. Too bad the Magnum was $3/oz at my lhbs.

EDIT: This is getting interesting. I lost a bunch of the Magnum due to a untimely (and predicted) boilover. Added 1/2 oz hersbrucker to compensate. Also took an extra 5 1/2 gal of runnings (which still look dark) and am flipping those into a second runnings brew. Yay last minute changes.

EDIT EDIT: I'm boiling the 2nd runnings now. Good god this has been high-stress. So many things to break, so little time.

mlt3.jpg

Mash Tun, fairly full if I may say so. But more impressively, dark!

color_detail.jpg

There's some in the bottom of the pitcher and also in the syphon tube.

boil.jpg

This is while returning to a boil, immediately after the huge boil-over from my Magnum hop addition. :(

Too bad I couldn't get a pic w/o the steam though. Too dark to go sans flash, to steamy to use it correctly. Harumph.

My dining room is a happy beer hall right now - 10 gals in cornies aging on one wall, and 15 gals in primaries on the other wall. :D

So I finally downed my hydro sample from this AM on the five week old batch that is still in secondary.

do it! DO IT! BREW EEET!!!!

Sorry for the delay, Ed, when you said that it reminded me that I still hadn't cleaned my MLT out from yesterday's Pecan Scottish!

mlt.jpg

Igloo 48 qt classic. :D

48 qt. eh? Cool. I'm breaking in my 70 qt. MLT Coleman Extreme with the RIS. It should be interesting. Thanks.

Brewing the PM version on the 1st, so all I have to report is that my yeast starter is taking off nicely. If only I had got my stirplate finished... More notes after the first!

888RIS003.jpg

Last weekend...nightmare brew:

Mashed in and all seemed on schedule then hit with a massive stuck sparge from to fine a crush. I gave that big payload a stir and wacked open the ball valve...about 1/2 a cup came out and that was it! Another stir...nothing. Backflushed the braid...1/4 cup. Jammed a coat hanger into the valve and braid...nothing. I had to strain the whole thing by hand.

Needless to say it was a looooooonnnnnng brew session trying to strain out all the grain and have the SS strainer constantly gum up. I tossed a bit of cinnamon ala Charlie P to hopefully combat the excessive aeration that had to take place. Lost a good deal of volume in the process.

Transfered to the secondary this past weekend and it was pretty tasty no the less.

Getting geared up for a brew here. I'm only doing 5 gallons - my brew closet has to come down today :(

Pics/video/whatever I feel like uploading to follow!

Made mine Sunday as i had a thought that i'm going to be drinking monday night and wanted to watch for the yeast to start easier.

I watered it down more and ended up with a 1.060 OG :( but we'll see how it finishes out. Ferment started in must have been 2 hours, and it's areadly down to 1.054ish, with about 2 inches of krausen.

I probably should have just used one of my 5 gallon carboys but i stuck it in my 6.5 and when i went to test the OG, my turkey baster couldn't reach the top of it, so i poured more water in.

This is still going to be the biggest beer I have ever made so far, dang that was a lot of LME, and a big sock of specialty grains :) I bought the AHBS kit. I'm also using the WPL California yeast. It smells yummy and tasted good in the OG sample, and better in the recent sample.

So everyone is waiting about 2 weeks+ to rack to secondary? I'm thinking I'm going to keg this, Should I wait till say march/April to put it into a keg?

brewt00l said:
...hit with a massive stuck sparge from to fine a crush...

I'm sure you already tried these but:

~ Don't open the valve all the way. The rapid rush of wort causes suction that compacts the bed and leads to stuck sparge.

~ Next time, try using a garden hose with a spray spout to back flush the hose. Blowing air is pretty ineffective.

~ Dump in your base grains first. THey don'd pulverize as much as your roasted grains and are more likely to provide a good grain bed and less likely to stick.

I have the same cooler and am tempted to get a rectangular. I think that the deep narrow shape of the round cooler lends itself to more compaction.

FWIW.

BierMuncher said:
I'm sure you already tried these but:

~ Don't open the valve all the way. The rapid rush of wort causes suction that compacts the bed and leads to stuck sparge.

~ Next time, try using a garden hose with a spray spout to back flush the hose. Blowing air is pretty ineffective.

~ Dump in your base grains first. THey don'd pulverize as much as your roasted grains and are more likely to provide a good grain bed and less likely to stick.

I have the same cooler and am tempted to get a rectangular. I think that the deep narrow shape of the round cooler lends itself to more compaction.

FWIW.

Even after I pulled all the grain out of the tun and the braid was exposed to the wort directly, it still wouldn't drain...just skimming the strainer through the wort would gum it up....none of the above would have helped given the situation but they are great tips.

brewt00l said:
Even after I pulled all the grain out of the tun and the braid was exposed to the wort directly, it still wouldn't drain...just skimming the strainer through the wort would gum it up....none of the above would have helped given the situation but they are great tips.
That there is a fine crush alright. Those rasted grains reek havoc on my sparge when their done too finely. They're like liquid paste.

BierMuncher said:
That there is a fine crush alright. Those rasted grains reek havoc on my sparge when their done too finely. They're like liquid paste.

The look on my face when I cracked open the ball valve and next to nothing came out must have been priceless (course my language wasn't too pretty). I figured I was in for trouble when I noticed how shredded the husks were and the general condition of the crush before mashing in...'course that had to happen on this grain bill.:drunk:

'Least it is shaping up to be something decent :mug:

Videos! Brew the 888 in nearly real time with me today!

I'm uploading the videos as I take them, so they're only about 10 minutes old by the time they hit YouTube. Here's the first of the series:

[YOUTUBE]EvU2rhT-_p4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]NSyK4wH6wl8[/YOUTUBE]

"You may think my set-up is pretty elaborate ... and I'll tend to agree with that."
Yuri, you are a wonderfully nerdy man. You're my idol. Now back to work! *cracks whip* :D

Well I'm heating up my water now in the mlt to 175 strike temp and 15gal
in the hlt, got 31lbs of grain crushed and ready to go....

I just doughed in a recipe from last months Zymergy.

Here's my take on Rasty Old Tom American Imperial Stout

15# Maris Otter
2# Crystal 60L
1# Belgian Candy Dark
0.6# Roasted Barley
0.5# Black Patent
0.5# Victory Malt

Mash in at 155 degrees for 90 Minutes.

3 oz. Cluster 7% 90 min.
0.25 oz. Centennial 10% 15 min
0.4 oz Northern Brewer 3.2% 15 minutes
1.1 oz. Liberty at flamout

Safale-05

888RISMash.jpg

I'm 13 min into the boil actually I started with 10 gal and got it down to 9 to start the clock. Had 10 gal at 1.088.

I just mashed in my 08-08-08 partial mash. My new instant-read digital meat thermometer is tons easier to read than the crappy dial one I got with my turkey fryer, but brings up some questions. It registers temps of 157-159 along the sides of my 5-gallon MLT but more like 140 in the center. What gives? Is my mash temp too low? I've only used the MLT 3 times before so I don't know exactly what to expect from it...

Only doing a five gallon batch, but starting with 8.5 gallons pre-boil.
A few last minute tweaks to the recipe.
RIS_1.jpg

Gotta love the roasty smell.
RIS_2.jpg

This is enough base grain for a 10-gallon batch of one of my normal beers.
RIS_3.jpg

Pulled out a huge Irish Ale yeast harvest from last weekend to pitch.
RIS_4.jpg

One thick@ss mash going here.
RIS_5.jpg

Trencher said:
I just mashed in my 08-08-08 partial mash. My new instant-read digital meat thermometer is tons easier to read than the crappy dial one I got with my turkey fryer, but brings up some questions. It registers temps of 157-159 along the sides of my 5-gallon MLT but more like 140 in the center. What gives? Is my mash temp too low? I've only used the MLT 3 times before so I don't know exactly what to expect from it...

RDWHAHB. Close the lid and let it sit for 15 minutes. Those temps will stabilize. Stir a little if need be. You're probably at about 152 once it averages out, which is dandy. :)

Glad you like the digital, I sure do too.

A few more pics:
First vorlauf.
RIS_6.jpg

Finally starting the drain. Thick as oil and sweet.
RIS_7.jpg

Going to shoot for a 9 gallon preboil.
RIS_8.jpg

My brew-buddy always likes this part...when the wort starts spilling on the floor.
RIS_9.jpg

Preboil gravity of just about 9 gallons.

RIS_91.jpg

Just a few more:
Getting my hops schedule lined up. Nugget for bittering and some late additions...then Fuggles for finishing.
RIS_92.jpg

I was admiring EdWort's mash when I had a major boil over behind me....

Thanks Ed. :D

RIS_93.jpg

Way to keep at it, Brewsmith! I wanted to go for 20 gallons over holiday instead of 15, but ran out of fermenters. :(

That's a heck of a nice yeast starter, BM, but why's your liquid so dark? What'd you use for starter wort? It looks like you cleaned up your keggle for us too! I see much less sharp, stabby death on it these days! (Nice Latitude by the way. :D)

Thanks, everyone, for posting lots of pics, this makes my New Years Day a lot more fun! I love watching everyone get all set up and rolling on their own rigs! This is great!!

chriso said:
...That's a heck of a nice yeast starter, BM, but why's your liquid so dark? What'd you use for starter wort? It looks like you cleaned up your keggle for us too! I see much less sharp, stabby death on it these days! (Nice Latitude by the way. :D)

That wasn't a starter. It was a full 10-gallon harvest from a stout I racked last weekend. I kept plenty of wort on top to keep it fresh.

Bloody genius. That makes a lot more sense. I get the "Duh" flag today.

Carry on. I'm gonna go reboot my brain so I don't have to keep saying dumb-a$$ things.

Your buddy's a Corgi, right? One of my coworkers has three and loves them. My brew assistant is feline in nature, so a lot less fun to hang out with.

chriso said:
RDWHAHB. Close the lid and let it sit for 15 minutes. Those temps will stabilize. Stir a little if need be. You're probably at about 152 once it averages out, which is dandy. :)

Glad you like the digital, I sure do too.

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't too concerned and didn't want to keep opening the cooler to take readings. After an hour the temp was around 145 throughout though, so I guess I lost more heat than I expected. Maybe the MLT needs a blanket next time, or should just go indoors.

Back