Zappa Plays Zappa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j1laskey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Tonight I am going to check out ZPZ for the first time. Any other FZ fans check out Dweezil and the Zappa Family Trust yet?

Also, I am taking my lovely wife, because she felt bad that none of my friends would go with me, hope she likes it :confused:

j1laskey said:
Tonight I am going to check out ZPZ for the first time. Any other FZ fans check out Dweezil and the Zappa Family Trust yet?

Also, I am taking my lovely wife, because she felt bad that none of my friends would go with me, hope she likes it :confused:

I saw them a few years ago and it was great! Fair warning, your wife may be the only one there without a Y chromosome. I saw Frank in '88 and while this wasn't to that level, it is as good a "cover band" as I've ever seen.

The line up I saw had Napolean Murphy Brock, Steve Vai, Terry Bozzio and more.

LOL! Good luck with that!

I can appreciate Frank's writing and musicianship, but some of it is very hard to swallow. And he pretty much ignores any moral standard, so listening with the kids is not as easy as popping a CD in the player.

I saw them a handful of years ago at a music festival and it was one of my favorite performances of the weekend although I know little to know Frank Zappa. It was great!

I already made sure to brace my wife about the crowd. Told her to expect a mix of Berklee students, guys who play D&D games, and HBTer's.

Should be a blast!

I was probably 10 or 12, my much older sister used to play her Zappa album. I liked it so much that I asked my ma for a copy. Request Denied! But I still remember some of the lyrics :) May be why I like those dirty rap songs today.
Have Fun!

Bonus: A vapor-lock shout out.

Last edited by a moderator:
image-636867300.jpg

Me and Dweezil

image-636867300.jpg

They were tight! The previous shows set list had Orange County Lumber Truck / More Trouble Everyday and I am the Slime, neither happened tonight. But, The Gumbo Variations was unreal. That is the song that turned me onto FZ, and Dweezil and Co. did a great job tonight with their version of it.

My wife's favorites were, Montana, Carolina Hard Core Extacy, Let's Make the Water Turn Black, Dirty Love, Cosmik Debris, and Boodledang. In no particular order. She really liked them.

There was a German documentary made a few years ago ('05-'06-ish?) that had a 3+ minute clip of Frank's Halloween performance solo at the Palladium in NYC. The absolutely greatest electric guitar solo I've ever been privileged to hear.

I was on 95 on the way to VA and stopped at the Chesapeake House rest stop on the way down. They had a Frank Zappa penny press. He is now resting comfortably on my SWMBO's dashboard.

I missed my opportunity to see ZPZ a while back but if it comes back through I will be going.

Back