How long to primary before dry hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkandrust

Reaction score
Just brewed a Loose Cannon clone with a OG of 1.075...Can't decide whether to leave in primary for 2 or 3 weeks before racking to secondary to dry hop for a week before kegging. I'm leaning more towards 3 weeks in primary as a beer of this strength could benefit from another week of conditioning. Your thoughts?

once the Krausen has fallen, you can rack to a secondary. I made an IPA a couple of weekends ago and once the krausen fell and is started to clear a little bit I racked it over to the secondary (after about 1 week) for dry hopping and to clear it up some more. I am going to let it sit in the secondary for at least a week before I bottle.
1 week Primary
1</= week(s) in the secondary.

Many people here (including myself) don't rack into a secondary and will just let it sit in the primary for more than 3 weeks to no ill effects. The only time I use a secondary is when I am dry hopping or/and if there is a lot of trub in my primary.

blkandrust said:
Just brewed a Loose Cannon clone with a OG of 1.075...Can't decide whether to leave in primary for 2 or 3 weeks before racking to secondary to dry hop for a week before kegging. I'm leaning more towards 3 weeks in primary as a beer of this strength could benefit from another week of conditioning. Your thoughts?

I would leave it for 3 weeks in primary to let the yeast clean up then secondary and dry hop for 7 days, then bottle/keg. Be sure you hit your FG before you rack with whatever you decide to do.

once the Krausen has fallen, you can rack to a secondary. I made an IPA a couple of weekends ago and once the krausen fell and is started to clear a little bit I racked it over to the secondary (after about 1 week) for dry hopping and to clear it up some more. I am going to let it sit in the secondary for at least a week before I bottle.
1 week Primary
1</= week(s) in the secondary.

Many people here (including myself) don't rack into a secondary and will just let it sit in the primary for more than 3 weeks to no ill effects. The only time I use a secondary is when I am dry hopping or/and if there is a lot of trub in my primary.

I too have omitted secondary fermentation unless dry hopping or extended aging. This beer will be dry hopped.Cheers!

I would leave it for 3 weeks in primary to let the yeast clean up then secondary and dry hop for 7 days, then bottle/keg. Be sure you hit your FG before you rack with whatever you decide to do.

This is what I will do. Thanks for the reply:mug:

I've been dryhopping right in the fermenter with great results. I simply drop the dryhops in about 5-7 days before packaging, and it comes out great. No need to rack to another vessel if you don't want to (I don't) but still having great hops aroma and flavor from dryhopping.

I've been dryhopping right in the fermenter with great results. I simply drop the dryhops in about 5-7 days before packaging, and it comes out great. No need to rack to another vessel if you don't want to (I don't) but still having great hops aroma and flavor from dryhopping.

Interesting.Dry hopping in the primary. I will have to try this! Thank you.Go Rangers!!!!!;)

Yooper said:

I have also been following this strategy. I am kind of wondering the reasoning behind why one should rack to secondary when dry hopping? I thought as long as primary fermentation is complete you wont lose any of that hoppy goodness.

I have also been following this strategy. I am kind of wondering the reasoning behind why one should rack to secondary when dry hopping? I thought as long as primary fermentation is complete you wont lose any of that hoppy goodness.

That's what I believe as well. It's true that a ton of yeast might interfere with the hops oils in the beer, but if you wait until the beer is fairly clear, that wouldn't be an issue.

generally i leave in primary for two weeks, the dry hop (in primary) for about a week and bottle
seems to work best for me

echo what yooper and others have said... i have an ESB and a scottish 60 that are almost 3 weeks in and i'll dry hop both (yeah, so, i like dry hopping out of style - sue me)... no ill effects.

I dry hopped in my fermentor last time, good news was I had about a half gallon more beer in bottles, bad news was the amount of hops made me just dump all my yeast slurry rather than try messing with getting pure yeast with no hop matter. But what I do is taste my beer and let it tell me whether to let it condition more before dryhopping. Since hops fade with time its the last step before bottling or kegging. So I would age if your beer isn't smooth as is. I like my beer freshly dry hopped so if I have a big IIPA ill age it awhile before dryhopping so I don't have to let it bottle condition and temp me with its hoppy goodness lol.

Back