My first attempt at ginger ale burns!!! help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbhawker

Reaction score
So me and ol'lady attempted to make ginger ale and it burns your lips and toungue after you drink it. I guess to some people this is ok. Is there anyway to fix it. It tastes really good its just a very obnoxious bite/burn at the end.

Its a 2.5 Gallon batch would adding another gallon of water and some more sugar mellow out that bite. Any help is much appreciated!
Thanks

If your not in a hurry to drink this batch the ginger bite does back off over time. Given a couple months it'll cut a decent amount of the spicy heat out of it depending how much ginger was used.

I imagine the idea of adding some sugar water to it also couldn't hurt. I'd try just a small amount, taste, then keep slowly adding more so that you don't end up with something really sweet and lacking much in e way of ginger.

I'm having the opposite problem. I start with a strong ginger bite, but it dies once I try and carbonate it. (That problem will be for a different thread.) Nevertheless, form what I have seen in my own batches I would follow Gduck advice to get the flavor to be calmer.

Try drinking it with a slice of lime. I find the lime juice cuts the ginger flavor.

Back