Ever have a credit card number stolen???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stratslinger

Reaction score
Like the subject says, have you ever had a credit card number stolen?

I've already had two calls tonight, one from my credit card company, and one from an online retailer, both concerning a pair of fraudulent charges against my credit card that were posted today. Fortunately, they were caught and identified very quickly, I'm not liable, though I do have to watch the account closely for the next week or so to make sure no additional garbage shows up.

When my credit card company called about the charge, I thought that was great; they were doing their job admirably. And no, they asked for no personal information except my address to verify against my account - no other account or identification numbers were exchanged, this was not a scam (unless the scam was to verify my physical address? Pick up the phone book!).

But when the retailer called a couple hours later, that just seemed, funny. The retailer, I guess it can't hurt to say, was walmart.com. I'm not sure if they identified the charge as suspicious themselves, or if they simply were responding already to the credit card company shutting down the charge. I asked what was ordered, but they wouldn't say without a police report. I'll follow up with the credit card company on that account, and make sure they're following up with the legal side of things (or I'll begin doing so if they're not). Again, no information was asked other than "was this charge for X dollars really you?" and then "OK, we'll cancel the order and put a block on any further charges from that credit card number."

I'm a little leery about how someone came across the number. At least recently, I placed my second ever order with Northern Brewer, my first with Austin Home Brewing Supply, and my first with McMaster Carr. I've also used it at a couple other places locally lately; only one of those was a first-time kind of thing... I'm guessing it's coincidence that this popped up so soon after first ordering with the other places, but I can't help but feel at least a little suspicous.

I guess I'll feel better when the credit card company's investigation goes through and hopefully identifies the culprit...

So, does this rambling sound familiar to anyone out there? Any advice you can give me other than cancelling the card (already done), and cooperating with whatever investigation happens?

Got the same call this morning around 8am. As it turns out the last legit charge was to Austin Homebrew. Closed account number out new card being issued.

Have you called your credit card company about this? Or is the call you received the only contact you've had? I'd have immediately called the company just to verify that it was really them that called me.

I had my Debit card/ master card cloned 2 weeks before Christmas. They cleaned out half my checking account evidently buying giftcards at a walmart in Illinois. The bank caught it and reembursed me. But had to issue me a new card which took 10 days or so. I had to file a police report, which went nowhere. They THINK I fell for a phishing scam online, but I'm not sure, I usually can smell those a mile away.

In 08' I was in Afghanistan and the only card I brought with me was hi-jacked. Gas purchases in Louisiana. The bank caught it quickly, reimbursed me, and issued a new card. The only down side was that they had to send the card to my actual address on file. So I was without any money for the remainder of the deployment. In the desert it was ok...basically you eat at the chow hall for free. However when I was in route home it sucked!

I think it will eventually happen to anyone, some more than others

Have you called your credit card company about this? Or is the call you received the only contact you've had? I'd have immediately called the company just to verify that it was really them that called me.

Good point, don't know why I didn't think of it myself! I just called, and the call was definitely legit.

Jafo28, we may have to compare notes when all is said and done, see if there's any more commonality than a recent charge to AHBS.

The only other thing that gets me about this? I'm an IT guy. I'm supposed to be savvy about this kind of thing. I feel kind of dumb, though I honestly can't think of anything careless I might have done with this info to put myself at risk. And, considering I've bought stuff online off and on over the past 15 years or so, I guess one something like this was bound to happen sooner or later...

Don't beat yourself up about it. It could have been comprimised anywhere, as for me an investigation was conducted which found an employee at the commasary was collecting and selling the card information.

The good thing is your bank will reimburse you.

I ordered from a small on-line brew store a couple years ago. A couple days later, Capital One called and asked about several suspicious on-line charges (mountain bike in Pennslyvania, perfume from New York, some fancy restaruant in Boston, and some boat charge in Florida).

We talked about all of the charges and back-tracked it to the LHBS as being the last legit charge.

They cancelled the bad purchases, and changed my card number. I contacted the store, and they admitted that they're on-line server was hacked.

I ended up not losing anything. I'm grateful for how Capital One handled it.

"What's in your wallet!"

The only other thing that gets me about this? I'm an IT guy. I'm supposed to be savvy about this kind of thing. I feel kind of dumb, though I honestly can't think of anything careless I might have done with this info to put myself at risk. And, considering I've bought stuff online off and on over the past 15 years or so, I guess one something like this was bound to happen sooner or later...

Yeah, I'm usually the guy figuring out the phishers and letting other folks know...That's why I find it hard to belive it happened to me online...But the minute you hand the card over to some in a store or worse a resteraunt where it is out of your site, you're hosed.

I'm convinced it happened about a week before when I handed it over at the drive through at Taco Bell. I misjudged the cash I had for my order, and just passed the card through...and had one of those quesy feelings which I promptly dismissed and forgot about....until I got the bank call.

Yeah happened to me last year. Three charges showed up on my debit card as pending, called BOA right away (was from my wife's card). Only one (Kohl's online) went through.

BoA asked me if I had any reason to think that my card had been compromised, I did not. They sent me an affidavit to sign and issued a new card. Charges were revered in <2 days.

I think it happens more than you think. Might be that another retailer's record have been compromised or maybe just card number fishing. Bank handled it smoothly. I make sure I check my account everyday because if they cleaned me out the bank would fix it but I would be SOL for 2 days.

Got one of those calls this AM. Mastercard fraud prevention called to find out if I made a $1.37 purchase in CA. I've also purchased from AHS a few weeks ago BUT I've also purchased from a bunch of other places in the last couple months and I've only had this card for a couple months.

Yeah, sounds familiar. I was grocery shopping and only brought my drivers license and CC, got up to checkout and the CC was declined, called the CC company and someone in NJ went shopping at walmart and my account was frozen. I went home without groceries; luckily I had beer at home, so no big deal.

Good point, don't know why I didn't think of it myself! I just called, and the call was definitely legit.

Jafo28, we may have to compare notes when all is said and done, see if there's any more commonality than a recent charge to AHBS.

I did call them back, and it was them. The charges that they tried to make were declined by the company, so I guess they're on the ball with that stuff.

Like the subject says, have you ever had a credit card number stolen?

I've already had two calls tonight, one from my credit card company, and one from an online retailer, both concerning a pair of fraudulent charges against my credit card that were posted today.

<snip>

I'm a little leery about how someone came across the number. At least recently, I placed my second ever order with Northern Brewer, my first with Austin Home Brewing Supply, and my first with McMaster Carr.

Got the same call this morning around 8am. As it turns out the last legit charge was to Austin Homebrew. Closed account number out new card being issued.

I've also purchased from AHS a few weeks ago

HANG ON HERE. I got called by my credit card company this morning, too, and I had some fraudulent charges on my account.

I *also* ordered from AHS about a week and a half ago.

Anyone starting to suspect, like I am, that AHS was hacked?

You all noticing how many of these have a walmart connection???

Given how many people shop at wal-mart regularly that's like saying there is a connection to how many of the cards were kept in wallets.

Given how many people shop at wal-mart regularly that's like saying there is a connection to how many of the cards were kept in wallets.

I can't even remember the last time I bought something at walmart, and I've never bought from them online.

I am leaning towards AHS.

Many of these transactions pass through with the retailer having NO access to the card number if it is an online purchase. I wouldn't be too quick to blame AHB quite yet. Not saying it isn't a possible link. Just saying a properly setup account won't even let the owner of the business see the number. That is why many places make you re-enter the number every time you make a purchase.

For those of you who have trouble keeping track of purchases, or just want to be able to see all account activity updated immediately, might want to try some thing like mint.com

I've been using it for a number of months now and it's been a good way to keep track of expenditures and if fraudulent purchases did show up I could spot them quickly and blow the whistle.

Many of these transactions pass through with the retailer having NO access to the card number if it is an online purchase. I wouldn't be too quick to blame AHB quite yet. Not saying it isn't a possible link. Just saying a properly setup account won't even let the owner of the business see the number. That is why many places make you re-enter the number every time you make a purchase.

Austin Homebrew doesn't work that way. They ring up the charges by hand after you submit your order. That info is directly from Forrest when I asked about something last week.

I can't even remember the last time I bought something at walmart, and I've never bought from them online.

I am leaning towards AHS.

No, it seems like when they get the hacked info, they use the stolen credit at wally world. I guess like Remilard said, there is the sheer numbers of folks shopping there, maybe that's why the rings (and in my case they said it was a ring out of rural michigan, using the credit accounts to convert to giftcards) use them, since they can be lost in amongst the many purchases.

Walmart must have a huge loss prevention department dealing with this crap on a daily basis.

No, it seems like when they get the hacked info, they use the stolen credit at wally world.

Ah... sorry.. I misunderstood.

My fraudulent chargers were $120 to Pizza Hut, $560 to some lawfirm, and about $900 to some "Online Services" company, whatever the f*ck that is.

Austin Homebrew doesn't work that way. They ring up the charges by hand after you submit your order. That info is directly from Forrest when I asked about something last week.

Hmm..... When I was involved with this stuff you were transferred https:// via secure connection (read encrypted) so the stuff was between the customer and the card service directly. I'll have to check to see if his site uses certificates.

Ah... sorry.. I misunderstood.

My fraudulent chargers were $120 to Pizza Hut, $560 to some lawfirm, and about $900 to some "Online Services" company, whatever the f*ck that is.

Seems like the law firm charge should be easy to track down.

I just received a small fraudulent charge on my account today. I too ordered from AHS a few weeks back. Luckily Bank of America caught it and called me.

Hmm..... When I was involved with this stuff you were transferred https:// via secure connection (read encrypted) so the stuff was between the customer and the card service directly. I'll have to check to see if his site uses certificates.

Check what you want, but here's a quote from my PM inbox from Forrest, when I asked how to pay for something that he was holding for me, but wasn't on his website, preventing me from putting it in my cart.

Austinhomebrew said:
Walker said:
How do I go about paying for it? It won't be in basket, so...

We process orders by hand. We will ring it up.

Forrest

Check what you want, but here's a quote from my PM inbox from Forrest, when I asked how to pay for something that he was holding for me, but wasn't on his website, preventing me from putting it in my cart.

They sport a verisign certificate logo but I can't get far enough into the process without creating an account. The certificate would only mean that it gets to them over an encrypted connection.

The card companies charge a premium (or used to) to do on line transactions for some reason. Cover fraud? Not sure if AHB decided to save a few bucks and do it 'by hand'? Then a rogue employee or compromised computer has access to the info.

Just checked my CC i use for my AHS purchases and im clean.

Just checked my CC i use for my AHS purchases and im clean.

According to the software there are almost 1200 people online to this site at this moment. Let's say during the course of the day they get 5K unique visitors. Let's say .5% of them have ordered from AHB in the last week. That is 25 people. 3 with compromised accounts? Not sure if that is statistically significant or not. It would be interesting to know how many HBT members place an order there over the course of a week.

I got a call today also. I also ordered from AHB last week.

Folks - that about wraps it up for me....

Suds is as "secure" with transactions as I've seen. Hell, the guy paid for his TapRoom glasses with a money order :D

I would be leery of any purchases from AHS until Forrest weighs in.....

Just checked my cards... So far so good, but then again, I only shop AHS in-store...

If they run the cards for online purchases by hand, then they have to somehow store the card info... So you can put whatever kind of encryption you want when placing the order, if the server storing the data is compromised, it's game over.

Or, worse yet, someone with legit access to the data does something malicious... I hate to think anyone at AHS would do that.

I'm glad everyone's banks were cooperative.

I purchased some silicone tubing from AHS about two weeks ago...

*is checking bank account now*

-=Jason=-

EDIT: nothing out of the ordinary on my account...

My VISA card co. called me today - someone trying to charge train tickets in Italy on my card. I cancelled the card, getting a new one. I had an AHS order on Jan. 13, but my main suspect is the optometrist I went to two weeks ago. First time I've been there in 5 years and that's the only "new" place I've used my VISA recently.

Check with your credit card company to see if they issue "temporary" cc numbers. One of mine does and it's a pretty cool feature. You set it up on your cc's website. You choose the amount and the expiration for that number and they issue you a cc number. I was buying some stuff from a site that I had concerns about. I logged in to my account, created a new card number for a little more than the amount, gave it a 30 day expiration and they issued my a number including the 3 digit security code. If anyone else tried to use that number it was only good for the limit I put on it and only for the duration I gave it. good luck!

Maybe, but it's also a forum where a large percentage of the members order from AHS. The correlation could be coincidental, but it is interesting.

I guess, just seemed like a lot of guys got a call today, and all had purchased from AHS recently.

-=Jason=-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back