Fatal Mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Brotherbill

Reaction score
So I bottled one batch of a braggot today. I realized at the end that when I was cleaning everything before hand I'm not entirely sure that I rinsed out the raking tube and hose or even put it in the sanitizer. I might have just primed the line with the solution of Oxy Clean and just started transfering the batch into the priming bucket.

I'm probably not going to drink this I'm just going to see if it carbs and then probably down the drain. Not the best day I've been having.

The high level of alcohol will likely protect it from any major infection. Don't dump it- my guess is it will be perfectly fine, if not great!

I'm not worried about the infection aspect it's the few ounces of Oxy Clean in the batch now. I read online that it is made from Sodium Percarbonate which breaks down in water to Hydrogen Peroxide and Soda Ash. Soda Ash is used in most water softeners. So maybe it's all right maybe it's not I don't know at this point.

I bet you have been in bars before that have accidentally gotten that much cleaner into your beer... a few ounces of diluted solution on 5 gallons.... don't dump it til you try it....

Do you think the Oxy Clean is in every bottle, or just the first bottle or two? Maybe subsequent bottles are okay?
I totally sympathize with you. The loss of mead is a sad loss indeed.
Good luck!

So I bottled one batch of a braggot today. I realized at the end that when I was cleaning everything before hand I'm not entirely sure that I rinsed out the raking tube and hose or even put it in the sanitizer. I might have just primed the line with the solution of Oxy Clean and just started transfering the batch into the priming bucket.

I'm probably not going to drink this I'm just going to see if it carbs and then probably down the drain. Not the best day I've been having.

Hey, you're not sure and what's the harm in waiting it out and trying it? It its ruined, then toss it. If its not, enjoy. No reason to preemptively dump, and don't beat yourself up about this - its not the worst thing that's ever been done while brewing/vinting.

Back