Are you a certified beer judge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You a certified beer judge?

• Yup

• Nope, but have some training

• Nope

• Nope, but Ralph is...

Results are only viewable after voting.
I haven't had the chance to take the exam but have accumulated several points Stewarding, Master-Stewarding, and Judging.

Wild

I don't know any personally but would assume them to be beer snobs. Or at least have that tendency in them. Critical buggers they are just like wine snobs :cross:.

desertbrew hit is squarely. Too many of the judges can judge against a style sheet, but have no idea what makes a beer good. Take away their style guide & they are clueless. On the other hand, they are a perfect match for people obsessed with winning ribbons.

The guides put out by the Brewers Association and BJCP are radically different in their focus.

desertBrew said:
I don't know any personally but would assume them to be beer snobs. Or at least have that tendency in them. Critical buggers they are just like wine snobs :cross:.

david_42 said:
Nope and the more certified judges I meet, the less I respect the concept

I agree completely. I can't begin to describe how much I loathe the idea of beer judging and competitions. I mean, who died and made (insert judges name here) the authority? I brew for me and my friends. If I don't like how a particular brew turned out, I don't brew it again. If my friends don't, I let them try something else or give them BMC. Competitions are completely subjective and nothing but popularity contests and you can keep them.

ablrbrau said:
who died and made (insert judges name here) the authority?
The same people who painstakingly separates 3 whole 12-ounce bottles from their personal stash, dreamed of having a third arm while trying to properly fill bottles with a bottle filler from hell, and all those that shell out $3-$5 per bottle for each category. Who better to deserve a fellow brewer that has taken the time to study the guide, earn points over a period of months or even years, and to pass a 4-hour test (3 hours written) to judge that beer?

Wild

BA style guide

"Each style description is purposefully written independently of any reference to another beer style. Furthermore, as much as it is possible, beer character is not described in terms of ingredients or process. These guidelines attempt to emphasize final evaluation of the product and try not to judge or regulate the formulation or manner in which it was brewed, except in special circumstances that clearly define a style."

beer4breakfast said:
I'm not that good with riddles. Could you possibly simplify that and say it more plainly?
It was asked by ablrbrau:
who died and made (insert judges name here) the authority?

My reply was simply:
Anyone that has sent their beers to a competition.
People, who have taken the time to study, earn points, and take the BJCP exam shouldn't be besmirched especially by people who only assume that they’d be a snob. Besides, around here, how would anyone notice?

Wild

Rightie-o. Nobody is forcing anyone to enter comps. One could say the same bloody thing about Miss USA judges. "Who died and made them the authority on beauty!?" Nobody did, but in the realm of this particular voluntary competition which nobody is forced against their will to enter into, they have been deemed the authority by those who voluntarily formed and/or manage that particular competition system.

Such animus...but nobody is forcing anyone to enter. Don't like how it's run? Don't like the guidelines? Don't like that it's based on a style cheat-sheet? Then either start your own competition and run it the way you want to, or get over it.

I just attended my first BJCP class last night and it was pretty fun. If nothing else, I will gain an in depth understanding of each of the styles of beer and hopefully learn how to make better beer myself.

Why all the hate on BJCP?

They get a lot of bad press because some of them are not very articulate as to exactly WHY they like or dislike a beer....that, just like their palate, is a skill that needs to be refined. Plus people take their homebrew personally, and can't take criticism.

Chimone said:
if the competition is being held at my house, then you bet your ass I am
lol. yeah, me to! :D

i'll probably get certified eventually...right now i'm concentrating on brewing award winning beers, then i'll concentrate on entering them in competitions, THEN i'll go for being a judge ;)

:mug:

I would like to at some point.

As said on here, it would definitely expose you to each style and learn more about them. Especially if you hit beer festivals throughout the country at different seasons...mmmmmmmm, so many beers to try!

Evan! said:
Rightie-o. Nobody is forcing anyone to enter comps. ...

I agree. This argument comes up here once every couple of months and I don't get the "beer judges/beer competitions are worthless" camp. Why bother yourself with them, then. I honestly believe these people fall into three categories. They:

a) Aren't competitive by nature and don't understand why anyone would want to enter a beer competition.
b) Had a bad experience entering a competition, got little or not very useful feedback and now have the impression all competitions are like that.
c) Are just plain afraid of the possibility of any negative criticism of their beer.

I'm not a judge, but might decide to be someday. I've met some BJCP judges and they were guys I liked and respected. I've entered a handfull of competitions and got great feedback. I never took it personally. On the contrary, I believe what I learned helped me become a little better at brewing.

It's easy for my friends to tell me they like my beer - it's free beer afterall! I liked getting a blind third party's opinion. Bottom line is, if you enjoy your beer, then it's all good.

Just my two centavos.

ohiobrewtus said:
TxLaw is a BJCP judge, I believe.

I was just about to give props to Tex.

I've gotten a much better overall impression of beer judges after having gotten to know Tex a little bit on here. Here's someone who clearly knows his sh*t and can communicate it. I wouldn't hesitate in the least to have him review my beer and give me feedback on it, even painful.

With that said, I've heard enough horror stories about judges who didn't know what they were talking about, both here and elsewhere, where there's still some hesitancy in terms of submitting to a competition.

I was a judge, but let it lapse becasue i didn't have time to attend any events. And quite honestly if yo dont' want your beer judged, don't enter competitions. And if yo think judge don't know what they are talking about, take the 10 written essay question test.

Thanks for the props, Bird. I really do appreciate it. :mug:

Yep, I'm a BJCP judge, "Certified" rank. I'm teaching my club's study class this year, hoping to take the test again, and hoping even more to get promoted to National. Sorry I missed this post until now!

If y'all will allow me a moment to comment on competition judges, there are good ones and bad ones out there. In just about every homebrew competition out there, the judges are volunteers, there on their own time. Nearly all of them genuinely want to help and do a good job, and nearly all of those accomplish that goal. Most who fail to reach those goals do so innocently. Then, of course, you have your stinkers out there who get off on telling someone how crappy their beer is. I think, if they came around here, they might be called EACs. :)

Also, not every judge is BJCP because, often, there just aren't enough to go around. Having organized one competition and participated in many others, I know how hard it is to get judges. In fact, it's usually the toughest thing to do. Many judges find it a chore, and many others cop that "someone will take care of it" attitude. I find it a great opportunity to sample a whole lot of beer in a short time while also getting the opportunity to think about them and discuss them in depth with someone else. It's often a bonus that I get to discuss those beers with someone who knows their stuff better than I do, so it's one heck of a learning experience. I actually enjoy judging, but it's also no news to many that I'm a raving lunatic.

TL

Those of you who are beer judges, are there any brewshops that you work with? I would love it if my LHBS had a certified judge doing consulting out of their shop. I don’t think I’m the only one who would pay a couple of bucks to be able to drop off a beer to have it evaluated and get a score sheet on it. Are there places already doing this? I just entered my first competition, but it was less about the contest and more about picking out flaws that I may have trouble identifying.

I’m digging up an old thread here, but this is the best that my search on beer judging came up with. I think the "brew what you like and screw the judges" camp is shortsighted. By defining styles and judging modern beers trying to meet the criteria, the BJCP is what maintains the history of brewing. On the home brew level, it gives us a chance to experiment and see if we can meet these standards. Even styles that may not be our favorite are fun to attempt to duplicate. Without an experience judge this would be pointless. Without training it is all but impossible for the average homebrewer to see some of the subtle differences between some of the styles. I have a lot of respect for anyone who has taken the time and effort to be a judge.

Well I do have a certificate that says "Official Coors Beer Taster" does that count? I got it while touring the brewery in Golden (which we did frequently.) My buddy and I got pulled aside and got to rate some experimental brews. Some were actually very good.

Those of you who are beer judges, are there any brewshops that you work with? I would love it if my LHBS had a certified judge doing consulting out of their shop. I don’t think I’m the only one who would pay a couple of bucks to be able to drop off a beer to have it evaluated and get a score sheet on it. Are there places already doing this? I just entered my first competition, but it was less about the contest and more about picking out flaws that I may have trouble identifying.

The yearly BJPC study course & exam is coming up this January sponsored by our LHBS

Keystone Homebrew Supply

I am considering doing it this year.

I'm at the "Apprentice" Level, having taken the exam, but missed passing by 10%. It's a tough exam and I'll take it again, perhaps in Houston. You need to have judging points to get to certified level as well.

Back