beer clean glassware

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cryptonic84

Reaction score
i know there is a faq or tut or something, i just can't find it. searching glassware is a horrible idea because it comes up with carboys galore. My question is 2fold. first where is there the information for proper glassware for each beer style? Second, what is the best way to go about making your barware "beerclean" for the picture perfect pours? I don't have the crazy brush system so i was wondering if there is something i can do at home to keep my barwear/glasswear beer ready. thanks in advance.

I wash my beer glasses with warm water and a dish sponge (no soap), dunk in StarSan and leave them wet for a few minutes, then rinse in water.

A few of them have made it into the dishwasher by mistake, and I haven't noticed any head retention problems or anything with them. But I don't use JetDry in my dishwasher.

I think I read somewhere you can scrub the inside of the glass with salt to eliminate the effect dish detergent has on the head.

I'm planning a brew party with some friends to try my first batch (I'll check myself before the actual day).

I've read that dishwashing liquid will kill the head retention although some of the comments above says otherwise.

How do you guys clean your glassware on a regular basis? Water and starsans would work but I'm wondering if there are better methods.

I don't have much of an issue with head retention, and I use a dishwasher with no Drying Agents. (I don't run my nice, branded, glasses through, I learned the hard way when my Alaskan Brewing Company logos started coming off).

I've heard something about using vinegar to help aid your head retention, but that's the extent of my knowledge on it.

As far as the proper glassware by style of beer, I use BeerAdvocate.com (Glassware for Beer)

If you only need to wash a few, baking soda works great. Your beer will lace like mad. I never use dish soap on my beer glasses. For a large amount of cleaning, I will fill the sink up and let them soak in a scoop of oxyclean, it works great as well.

I wash mine in the dishwasher and also have not noticed any effects on the head. Of course, I'm the only one drinking the beer who knows anything about beer. Most of my buddies would prefer no head. They've been conditioned to think foam is a bad thing.

I suppose I haven't gotten to the level of beer snobbery where I need to buy custom cleaners or take extra time with my glassware. If it tastes great...who cares about head? The only way it matters is if you're entering it into comps and in that case...they probably have the glassware covered.

i do a 2-3 step process now and it has paid off hugely in taste, presentation, and aroma.

first, rinse with HOT water and using a glassware brush i do the first washing with vinegar. after that i rinse well and go to salt, then i rinse and use baking soda. Followed by a GOOD rinse of hot water.

put it on a on the sink dish rack upside down and let air dry. If it has water spots or streaks i redo it. I may be anal about how i do it, but i get great head now, i get awesome presentation, and if i am going to go through the effort of making/buying a well made craft beer with thought put into the flavors then darn it, i want to do everything i can to bring them out! Just my 2 cents. friends call me a snob now, but atleast i enjoy the beer how i want to now.

i do a 2-3 step process now and it has paid off hugely in taste, presentation, and aroma.

first, rinse with HOT water and using a glassware brush i do the first washing with vinegar. after that i rinse well and go to salt, then i rinse and use baking soda. Followed by a GOOD rinse of hot water.

put it on a on the sink dish rack upside down and let air dry. If it has water spots or streaks i redo it. I may be anal about how i do it, but i get great head now, i get awesome presentation, and if i am going to go through the effort of making/buying a well made craft beer with thought put into the flavors then darn it, i want to do everything i can to bring them out! Just my 2 cents. friends call me a snob now, but atleast i enjoy the beer how i want to now.

That really is a hell of a process, but more power to you I suppose. I'm sure I could find this information on the forums somewhere, but this seems like an appropriate place to discuss it: What do those three components do? What does vinegar do that salt doesn't, and what does the baking soda add to the process?

I just use dish soap and rarely a rag (they tend to house oils and such). I don't have issues on head retention, clarity or seeing the legs on a nice whisky either... I just use a ton of running hot (160-170 degree) water. that's my $.02.

There are no hard serving rules. Dopplebock can look awesome in a Pils glass, I would never be pissed about it.

You don't have to do anything special, just handwash and air dry.

Serve your beer in what you think will enhance the beverage.

I am a mug man regardless of style. I wash my glasses in the dishwasher. I never really thought about the impact that my mug washing would have on my beer. I am always to busy thinking how good my homebrew is.

I don't have much of an issue with head retention, and I use a dishwasher with no Drying Agents. (I don't run my nice, branded, glasses through, I learned the hard way when my Alaskan Brewing Company logos started coming off).

I've heard something about using vinegar to help aid your head retention, but that's the extent of my knowledge on it.

As far as the proper glassware by style of beer, I use BeerAdvocate.com (Glassware for Beer)

I ran across a site that advocated using white vinegar in place of jet dry....

It looks like there's no magic answer. I'll just hand wash the glasses with liquid dishwasher soap and rinse out real well.

I drink everything regardless of what it is in a pint glass... Though it is fun to drink beers in different glasses when I'm at a bar... Delirium Tremens comes in a fun glass though I wish it were bigger!

That really is a hell of a process, but more power to you I suppose. I'm sure I could find this information on the forums somewhere, but this seems like an appropriate place to discuss it: What do those three components do? What does vinegar do that salt doesn't, and what does the baking soda add to the process?

well, all three are used to break up oil layers and chemical layers on the glass itself caused from the oil on your skin (ie above your lip) from food stuffs, from if you used a drying agent (jet dry) or if you washed your glasses in a dishwasher with anything oily. I know that my method is over the top but if you take pride in crafting your beer, take some pride in how you serve it too, ie the whole process.

Back