What brand of filter do you use to filter beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crito

Reaction score
I am looking into filtering my homebrew. I am looking at brand names and I cannot figure which one to get.

If you use the single use filters, which one do you use?

I am going to use a 5 and a 1 micron setup, using a double canister setup. The whole house sediment canisters will be filtering method. I did a lot of research, but I couldn't find any info on the brand name choice (preferred by home brewers).

Thanks for your help.

I get the pleated filters from US water that fit the housing I got from them. I would say they are certainly more than single use.

IMHO I would not run 2 in tandem as it will not do anything other than make you burn 2 filters per filtration. The 1 micronn will do just fine for a batch or 2 before you need to clean it. The big killers of these filters is trying to squeeze the last drops of beer from the yeast/trub. This is what is refereed to as "blinding your filter" in a pro setting.

I hook up a picnic tap to suck up the small amount of yeast around the spear, then filter. When you see the liquid in the line change from beer to yeast/trub you are done. I try to NOT let that crap get into my filter. Extra shut-off valves at the fermenter and receiving keg will help you LOTS and a spunding valve is also a big help.

Awesome. I will try it. I transfer from cornie to Sankey. I drain the first half pint for the trub then reconnect. So I will just use one housing and a 1 micron filter.

Seems like a good USA made filter and its even recommended for beverage/food processing. Thanks!!!!!!

Not knowing anything about the beers you want to filter I should offer up a bit of advice. This is based on my experiences and tastes so take it as is.

I use the 5 micron as a general all purpose filter. It does not strip out much for flavor and leaves just enough yeast in the beer so that I do not suffer wicked hangovers. I also believe this residual yeast helps improve the shelf life of the beer. Your beer will look clear unless you significantly magnify it.

The 1 micron will strip flavor. I have a few of these and only use them on light beers. Cream ales, most lagers, kolsh and like beers where a slight flavor loss does not significantly impact the end product. They are also much easier to blind.

Blinding the filter does not impact the beer in anyway but it does make it impossible to clean it correctly. If the filter is not blinded you can keep a spare keg around for cleaning. Just back flush with some well dissolved oxyclean free, rinse well with water and sanitize with starsan all in a back flush direction. (This will also sanitize the keg.)

You can also purge the filter and housing with CO2 by simply connecting the filter up to the receiving keg 1st and allowing some of the co2 from the purged receiving keg to flow backwards through it.

Also, boiling a filter to either clean it or sanitize it will trash it.

Back