The braumiser, my braumeister inspired rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Matheo.

I like your work so much and honestly i would like to make something similar.
I have a nano arduino. Can i use this board for this project and how can i make the shield to fit my board.
Also i am planing to use a 220v pump. how will that change the design of the shield.

Thank you and keep up the good work.

Hi Matheo.

I like your work so much and honestly i would like to make something similar.
I have a nano arduino. Can i use this board for this project and how can i make the shield to fit my board.
Also i am planing to use a 220v pump. how will that change the design of the shield.

Thank you and keep up the good work.

the nano has the same pin out so you would have to get a board that would take the nano form and put it into a uno form, also it would have to be a nano that has a ATmega328 as the ATmega168 just doesn't have enough room (code complies to 14.5k). The eagle PCB files can be changed so you could make up a board to accept the nano. The pump control relay has its contacts taken out to a screw connector so it can switch 12v or 240v so you don't have to change the design there.

cheers steve

Thank you for your replay. My nano is the ATmega328, so no problems there.
I was struggling all night to adapt the PCB design to fit the nano, but i'm having problems with the way the pins connect to the lcd. I am hoping to make the board myself and connect the lcd to pcb through a cable and maybe this will make the design more "loose".
I'm going to stick for now to a 12v "solar project" pump.

I'll give it another go now and maybe i'll manage to adapt the board by tomorrow morning.

Thank s again, A.C.

I used a ribbon cable with DIP header on one end to connect my LCD to my controller board. I built the system around a protoboard and used a logic FET
to control a 12V solar pump.

arduino-based-controler-electronics-57432.html

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/photo/controller-wired-to-lcd-and-pushbuttons-57433.html

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/photo/view-of-front-panel-57435.html

I tried it last night for the first time on 240V. It seems to work OK. I'm overshooting my temps 1-2 degree F.

Matho, thanks for all the detailed build PDFs, I'm in the early stages of the controller build now. I have ordered what I hope are equivalent parts from mouser.com and can provide the part numbers once I have a working board and confirm they are all correct.

Mdwilson, is there any chance you could fork matho's github repo and post your changes for comparison? Or even post the code here if possible?

I will be breadboarding this first to test out all the components before trying to order a pcb.

Thanks!

just a few things that has come up over the last couple of weeks, people that have been trying to switch 240v AC pumps have been reporting that the LCD becomes scrambled. It looks like its emi caused but switching the 240v, which seems to be able to be managed with a RC snubber circuit across the contacts of the relay. The second issue is a glich in the code, if the last stage finishes on a pump rest, then the only thing that will be displayed in the boil stage is 'pump rest' I have fixed the code and pushed it to github

https://github.com/mathoaus/braumiser-controller

mdwilson it would be cool if you posted the code as mysid has mentioned

cheers steve

I just received my new Braumeister. There was no power cord to received the electric power to run the unit. I had an electrician put in 240 outlet, no cord to plug in the unit. Should the come with a power cord? MoreBeer said should my electrician change I out. Can you help me with this issue?

I just received my new Braumeister. There was no power cord to received the electric power to run the unit. I had an electrician put in 240 outlet, no cord to plug in the unit. Should the come with a power cord? MoreBeer said should my electrician change I out. Can you help me with this issue?

You should have recieved a power plug but it won't fit our outlets. You will need to modify the end of the cord to fit our American outlets. There is a huge Braumeister thread around here somewhere that has a step by step on how to do this. I would search it out for you but I am on my phone.

Does this code have the fix that Steve mentions above?
yes it does.

One thing I have noticed is that the pump is not on during the boil, the reason I put the pump on up until 94 deg c is so that the wort stuck in the pump and plumbing gets up to a good temperature to sanitise it.

cheers steve

Not a bad idea on the pump during boil, but mine is a BIAB set-up. I close the spiggot and disconnect the pump and hoses right when removing the malt.

I did find the pump rest issue, and fixed it, but I thought I had caused it with the changes I made.

I tried the system for the first actual brew session today. I made a Nut Brown Ale. It was not without a few snags, but the good news is that it is fermenting now.
1. The temp sensor glitched during mash in and told me to add malt early. I ignored and restarted the brew process (if this happens again I may make the code check three successive temp readings before starting the stage timer).
2. The temp sensor froze at 131F during the mash. I caught it before the heat ran away. I paused the system, unplugged the temp probe, and re-connected. It was fine after that.
3. After the pump rest the pump did not come back on. Actually the pump completely failed. I continued by stirring the mash. The boil went fine; ran it at 70% heat and 100% for the last 10 min to concentrate the wort a little further.

I have never had a DS18B20 freeze on me but it could be that I poll it to see when the conversion has taken place and then read the temperature then. This can only be done if the DS18B20 is being powered and not in parasite mode. I would check the DS18B20 too.

cheers steve

I found that pin 3 of the DS18B20 had become shorted to the thermowell which is connected to ground. The Arduino and DS18B20 are floating, so it does not affect their operation functionally, but there could be noise issues.
I was able to pull the thermal sensor out and re-pot it with high-temp RTV.

I was trying to mod the code to check if more that 1 second had passed since conversion start before the conversion was complete and flag an error, but this is not the only error case. I found that unplugging the thermal sensor would not induce an error and partially plugging it in and getting a reading stuck at 185F (actual temp was 72F) would also not cause an error. So, for now I'm going to assume that re-potting the sensor will fix the problem and not add any additional software checks.

I'm using a logic level MOSFET to drive the pump instead of a relay (I may use the PWM capability at some point to control the pump flow rate).

I am planing to use a solid state relay to turn on/off the pump and the heating element... I have no idea if i have to change anything in the code if i'm not using "MOSFET" or "FET" as you do. Also if you have any newer versions of the code whould you be kind enough to post it.

I already have the circuit on the prototype board and i'm planing to make a homemade shield for my arduino.

Thank you. A.C.

Hi A.C.

You shouldn't need to change anything in the code to use an SSR in place of the logic level FET.
I have not made any changes to the code from what was posted.

I have brewed a couple of times on the system and everything seems to work great. I really like it.

Good luck with your project. Let us know how it goes.

-Mike

so I have finished developing the brauduino shield to control a braumeister style brew rig.

Very Interesting I read from Italy sorry if I write bad use google translator

I have some beer I've always liked best Braumeister but it costs too much

I know electronics mechanics so this topic will Daiuto me and I want to try it myself to do it from me to Braumeister

You tell me latest firmware Arduino and the wiring diagram to use?

What can be used Arduino 2009 I'm already seeing someone who is resisting tailored to a maximum of 30 Litres 23 230V 1800W okay?

How circulator pump is fine by boiler or solar panel?

----------

In Italiano per i connazionali che leggono :D

Molto Interessante Io leggo da Italia scusate se scrivo male uso google traduttore

Faccio birra da qualche hanno mi è sempre piacuto braumeister ma costa troppo

Ho conoscenze meccanica elettronica quindi questo topic mi sara daiuto e voglio provare anche io a fare da me il braumeister

Mi dite ultima versione del firmware arduino e dello schema elettrico da usare ?

Cosa si usa Arduino 2009 sto vedendo gia uno che fa resistenza su misura per 23 massimo 30 Litri va bene 1800W 230V ?

Come pompa va bene cirrcolatore da caldaia o per pannello solare ?

Hi Matho,

Thanks for sharing. That is an great work.
I am interested to make my own 50 liters BM an I search all over the web for an copy of the BM controller.
Finally I founded it on this wab page and this with all I will need.

Thanks again for an precious help.

Thanks,
Danilo

A friend was able to do the routing single-sided
so as to portelro do easily at home.

You tell me what is latest version of the firmware so I try Barduino
Will need to change the pinout to use this PCB
Just tried that everything works am going to publish the files side Copper

https://plus.google.com/photos/1170...5884273152122924834&oid=117096022619927896725

BarduinoItaly.jpg

In Italiano

Un Amico è riuscito a fare lo sbroglio a singola faccia cosi da portelro fare facilmente in casa.
Mi dite quale è ultima versione del Firmware Barduino cosi provo
Sara necessario modificare il PinOut Per usare questo PCB
Appena provato che tutto funziona pubblichero il files lato Rame

Hi,
Just wondering where you purchased the kettle valve as shown in photo? I purchased a Speidel Braumeister 20L late last year, the valve that comes with it is a ball type. I lost the function of after one use. My attempts to replace with a more durable kettle valve has been hampered due the fact that my system requires replacements with metric type threads. The ones I've found are for American type threads. Do you, or anyone else can help me with my situation?
Dsurratt

Well yesterday I had two minutes to try to affect what was on paper: D

from this

Bene ieri ho avuto due minuti per provare ad incidere quanto era su carta :D

Da questo

Now place across the stage as you can see in every test I had to do three good to have one but you will know the beginning is always so: D

Adesso posto tutta la fase come si vede in ogni test ne ho dovuto fare tre per averne uno Buono ma si sa al inizio è sempre cosi :D

You're locked into a minimum batch size with a set-up like this, yes? Unless you change the inner cylinder size (height)?

I have been wanting to build a small batch brewery

http://www.saviot.com/index.php?opt...ticle&id=15:braduino-italy&catid=8&Itemid=101

I hope you do not mind

In order not to lose track I put everything in a page on my site
when it relates to the change with single-sided PCB and Italian Menu

Matho Thanks for great program you've accomplished

I wanted to ask if you can use even bigger LCD
if I write in Italian does not enter into 16x2 LCD
and if you can add to programa support SD card reader writer
Log cooked to achieve the load and maybe recipes prepared
PC and written to the SD

Matho if you want then copy the images and files also on my website
to have a double copy if you're scared like me that sites
end host on the network can

Spero non dispiace

Per non perdere traccia ho messo tutto anche in una pagina sul mio sito
per quando riguarda la modifica con PCB Monofaccia e Menu Italiano

Grazie Matho per ottimo programma che hai realizzato

Volevo chiederti se è possibile usare anche LCD piu grande
se scrivo in Italiano non entra in LCD 16x2
e se puoi aggiungere al programa supporto lettore scrittore scheda SD
per realizzare Log della cotta e magari caricare ricette preparate
da PC e scritte sulla SD

Matho se vuoi poi copiare le immagini e files anche sul mio sito
per avere una doppia copia se hai paura come me che i siti
in rete possano scadere host

I love your work saviothecnic I have been watching your progress on AHB. All of the improvement you have mentioned are possible but I don't have much time anymore to spend on my hobbies. Last October my 5yo daughter suffered a hypoglycemic seizure which has resulted in her having cerebral palsy so I'm concerntrating on her recovery, I apoligise to anyone that I have not replied to lately.

cheers steve

Hi

I am also interested in a bigger display like 4x20.

An SD card reader to save the recipes???
PERFECT IDEA DAVIDE, ALL MY COMPLIMENTS!!!

Dear Matho we need you once more.

Many Tanks to all involved it this subject!!!

Dear Matho
I saw now your post

I am so sorry for that.
Best wishes for your daughter

I love your work saviothecnic I have been watching your progress on AHB.cheers steve

Matho Thanks for the compliments glad that appreciates our work

I am very sorry for what I read: (
My best wishes for your daughter
Think of the family comes first.

We go forward with the evidence if tomorrow you will have problems at all and you'll have time free mind and we are here to dedicate yourself you place a screenshot of the new modifcation where it is expected addition of reader & writer SD Display and use different type 40x2, 20x4, 16x2 addition to the native

In Italiano

Grazie Matho per i complimenti fa piacere che aprezzi il nostro lavoro
Mi dispiace molto per quello che leggo :(
I miei migliori auguri per tua figlia
Pensa alla famiglia che viene prima di tutto.

Noi andiamo avanti con le prove se una domani avrai risolto tutto e avrai tempo e mente libera per dedicarti noi siamo qui ti posto una schermata della nuova modifca dove è previsto aggiunta di Lettore Scrittore SD e usare Display diversi tipo 40x2 o 20x4 oltre al 16x2 nativo

Public the final version of the PCB redesigned in a single layer By DanielXan .

It requires a redefinition of the pin-ot to work.

Rename .rec .zip

PCB 14
// define pinout
// sensor and lcd
OneWire ds(8);
LiquidCrystal lcd(2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7);

// push buttons
const char Button_prev = A0;
const char Button_nxt = A1;
const char Button_up = A2;
const char Button_dn = A3;

// outputs
const int Pump = 9;
const int Buzz = 10;
const int Heat = 11;

PCB 15

// define pinout
// sensor and lcd
OneWire ds(12);
LiquidCrystal lcd(2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7);

// push buttons
const char Button_prev = A0;
const char Button_nxt = A1;
const char Button_up = A2;
const char Button_dn = A3;

// outputs
const int Pump = 9;
const int Buzz = 10;
const int Heat = 11;
// Pin Illuminazione LCD 8

View attachment 14.rec

Hi. I had a problem. The sensor of temperature measurement shows 2 degrees below. Who can help? It is necessary to correct a code? Where and what it is necessary to correct? All thanks.

Temp_c = (raw & 0xFFFC) * 0.0625 in this line do or + or - that you it is necessary. Beside me +1

Looks so
Temp_c = (raw & 0xFFFC) * 0.0625+1

Thanks.
"Temp_PID = (raw&0xFFFF) *0.0625;
Temp_c = (raw & 0xFFFC) * 0.0625;
Conv_start = false;
return; "

Temp_c = (raw & 0xFFFC) * 0.0625+2; - correctly?
And Temp_PID = (raw&0xFFFF) *0.0625; it is necessary to change? (Temp_PID = (raw&0xFFFF) *0.0625+2; ? )

I can't understand, it turns out the more темература heating, the thermal sensor more is mistaken. I heated water to 55 and shows 50 degrees ((((

Alexander86 Thanks.
"Temp_PID = (raw&0xFFFF) *0.0625;
Temp_c = (raw & 0xFFFC) * 0.0625;
Conv_start = false;
return; "

Temp_c = (raw & 0xFFFC) * 0.0625+2; - correctly?
And Temp_PID = (raw&0xFFFF) *0.0625; it is necessary to change? (Temp_PID = (raw&0xFFFF) *0.0625+2; ? ) ------------ Yes

And Temp_PID = (raw&0xFFFF) *0.0625; it is necessary to change? (Temp_PID = (raw&0xFFFF) *0.0625+2; ? I have no such line in code, but on logic and here it is necessary to add +2, чтоб and PID regulator had grieve adjustment! And question but where possible look your version of the program? We Beg pardon for mechanical translation!

Ты случайно не из России? )))

Из хохлянди я! Давай дружить!!!! Я добавил в описанной строке +1,25 и индикатор во всяком случае стал показывать то, что надо! А вот такой строки с пид регулятором у меня точно нет! Только, что смотрел!

Back