Help! Wort too hot when yeast pitched

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamheat

Reaction score
Im gutted.

I got confused with F and C and pitched my yeast with the wort way too hot (over 115F). I quickly realised my mistake and cooled it down but am wondering what the consequences will be?

If I have killed the yeast, and get no bubble action over the coming days can i just buy another bag of yeast and pitch it? or is my brew ruined?

Thanks for advice

I'd say probably yes to everything you've asked. 130-140f is usually the upper limit, though I often rehydrate at 95f without problem.Due to the likelihood of it being a problem, and the cost of yeast compared to the ingredients and labor, just go get some now and pitch

stz said:
I'd say probably yes to everything you've asked. 130-140f is usually the upper limit, though I often rehydrate at 95f without problem.Due to the likelihood of it being a problem, and the cost of yeast compared to the ingredients and labor, just go get some now and pitch

What he said.

No damage to the wort likely in my experience but at 46°c it isn't likely to have much if any cell growth. If it was dry yeast and you realised straight away and dropped the temp quickly you might get away with it but all things considered I'd go with STZ's advice & pitch another now.

There's some interesting stuff in here about yeast growth when propagated at different controlled temperatures. http://www.biotek.com/resources/articles/beer-brewing-synergyh1-yeast-growth.html as well as loads of other factors such as ph and alcohol tolerance.

MC that article is excellent and would suggest to me that 25-30C should pretty much be the go to temperature range for pitching, leaning towards cooler for English ale strain and warmer for the Belgians and wheats.

Im gutted.

I got confused with F and C and pitched my yeast with the wort way too hot (over 115F). I quickly realised my mistake and cooled it down but am wondering what the consequences will be?

If I have killed the yeast, and get no bubble action over the coming days can i just buy another bag of yeast and pitch it? or is my brew ruined?

Thanks for advice

115F = 46C

I'd cool it and re-pitch either way. In my humble opinion, wort can set for a while before yeast is pitched. just keep it sealed. I've gone 24 hours.

Just make sure you have a robust pitch. I suggest rehydrating/making a quick starter.

Repitch.

And re-aereate. Most likely the damage whith oxydation has already been done with the aeretion the first time.

Many thanks everyone. I have another problem. I live in Asia and am having the new yeast sent from usa. It wont get here for a week. The wort is in the fermenter all sealed but it is in about 30C temperature room. I have been advised to reboil the wort for 20 minutes to be sure it has not been contaminated then repitch the yeast once it has cooled to pitchable temperature. Would you agree that this is a reasonable course of action? After years of partial mash and extract brewing this is my first all grain brew. I think the wort i have made will be delicious. I am so disappointed in what has happened. I know now not to brew when im alone at home with 2 babies running around. My mind just wasnt focused enough at an inportant time in the brewing process.

I really hope my efforts to make the wort wont go to waste. So do you think I can reboil the wort to sterilize it and then repitch the new yeast?

Thanks again for your replies.

That is reasonable advice. Reboiling will kill any bacteria that have decided to make your wort their home. A week is a pretty long time for wort to wait.

Keeping it sealed will also mitigate most of the tendency to oxidize. Les air space in your container is better.

You might consider bread yeast. It makes OK beer, not great beer, but it works.

Back