850g vs 550g

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deejay413

Reaction score
I am new to brewing with only a few batches under my belt. I received a Mr. Beer kit not long ago. This is what I use to brew. I am hoping that this summer I can talk my wife into a larger system but for now this is what I have.

My question is this, Mr. Beer refills are usually anywhere from $17.99 - $21.95 and they are 850g of HME. There is another site called demonbrew.com (I'm sure you have heard of it) that sells just the cans of HME for anywhere from $6.50 - $8.00. The problem is that they are only 550g.

I don't follow the Mr. Beer recipes to a T. I usually use 1 pound DME and add some hops for aroma then use the HME as directed.

Since I am new at this whole brewing thing, how much of difference will the smaller can of HME make?

Just trying to save some money:cool:

Thanks!

I started with Mr Beer kits too. Great little fermenter and the Mr Beer HME makes some very good beers. Since you're already adding DME and running a hop schedule, I'd say go with the cheaper HME cans. Just bump up your DME addition if you want. Try steeping some grains to add a freshness to it.

Latest posts

Back