formulating recipe, input needed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bchurch

Reaction score
Hey all,
My SWMBO wants me to use up some whole leaf cascade hops to clear some room in the freezer I also have about 2oz chinook pellets and some others that I can't remember at the moment. I also have a starter of Belgian ardennes yeast I would like to use. I'm looking to go to the lhbs, what would you brew? Any good recipes you would like to share? I appreciate the input.
Oh and I'm doing All-grain so there's that. Thanks!

Looks like a nice Belgian IPA is in your future. I would say use a pilsener malt base at about 95%. And the rest some caramunich.

Just be sure to keep the IBUs lower than the American version. No higher than 40. IMHO high bitterness and Belgian yeast dont play well together.

You have some American C-hops and a belgian yeast starter...sounds like a Belgian IPA to me! :mug:

That's kind of the way I was leaning, I think i'll bitter with some chinook and flavor with the cascades.

dannypo said:
Looks like a nice Belgian IPA is in your future. I would say use a pilsener malt base at about 95%. And the rest some caramunich.

Just be sure to keep the IBUs lower than the American version. No higher than 40. IMHO high bitterness and Belgian yeast dont play well together.

I thought it was Belgian Pale ale that was no more than 40, ipa would be much more. I was thinking about maybe 65 ibu, just to still keep on the lower end of the ipa scale.

Its just my opinion but I don't care for that strong bitterness in Belgian beer. In an american IPA go crazy with the bitterness.

dannypo said:
Its just my opinion but I don't care for that strong bitterness in Belgian beer. In an american IPA go crazy with the bitterness.

Yeah I was playing around with a recipe and 63 Ibu gives me a bu:gu ratio of 1 which is good for American ipa but seems high for a belgian ipa. I think i'll go a little lower per your suggestion, thanks!

Back