help!!!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still more info? If you fermented it with cyanide it would not be safe to drink.
Recipe? Volumes? Amount of yeast? Age of batch? Gravities?

If it's young, as in less than 5 months old, then it will taste and smell like anus.

Well to be honest, that's how most apple cider is made.

It would still be nice to get more info, like volumes of the ingredients and age of the batch. If you used 1 gallon of apple juice and 10 lbs of sugar, you could potentially have 50% alcohol if the yeast could handle it. If its only a week old, it will taste like anus and smell like sulphur.

Bread yeast is usually only capable to ferment up to 8%-10%. But either way, it would be safe to drink.

Unless your in prison, why didn't you just get the right recipe and ingredients?:p

Or maybe he lied about his age and he's really only 14 years old, and stole the ingredients from his mother and is hiding it in the closet so him and his buddies can have a party.

its only like a week old i used 1 gallon of apple juice a one packet of bread yeast and like 5lbs of sugar and it smells a little like rubbing alcohol like a little hint of it
and all i wanna know is if its safe to drink thxs

its only like a week old i used 1 gallon of apple juice a one packet of bread yeast and like 5lbs of sugar and it smells a little like rubbing alcohol like a little hint of it
and all i wanna know is if its safe to drink thxs

I punched it into a recipe calculator. Your starting gravity is around 1.260, which is WAAAAAYYYY too high. If your yeast was capable of fermenting everything without dying from the alcohol percentage, and it fermented it to 1.000, you would have roughly 34% ABV. However, no yeast is capable to ferment that high, especially bread yeast. So I would guess its 10% ABV max. It will also be very sweet from all the remaining unfermented sugar. It smells like alcohol because its only a week old. Cider usually has to sit for about a half a year before it becomes something that you can even think about drinking, a full year of aging is better. It's still safe to drink, if you can stand the taste of it.

ok im not 14 ok so chill out i know liquor and im just tryin to make some cheap alcohol ok

It was a joke. I would assume you are a law abiding U.S. Citizen.
Not to offend, but your posts are very similar to some of the posts by the 14 year old kids making hooch in their closets. The posts basically seem to be asking for a quick answer without knowing or telling any information at all, just so they don't get caught. Judging by the recipe, I'd say there was very little to no research done on home brewing. But in all reality, you ARE "tryin to make some cheap alcohol". Edit: I thought you said "I'm not trying to make cheap alcohol", my bad

Look around here for a while and read up on recipes and techniques. There are plenty of apple cider recipes available on this forum. You will learn a lot here, and we are always willing to help. :mug:

bigdipper said:
ok im not 14 ok so chill out i know liquor and im just tryin to make some cheap alcohol ok

Since you know liquor you should have know for the price of the ingredients you used you could of bought a bottle. Or a twelve pack.
With a gal of juice and 5 pounds of sugar it must have been like paste.
Problem #1 bread yeast.
Problem #2 way too much sugar for this recipe.
Problem #3 freaking out that your hooch is stinking up your closet and not ready in a week.
Problem #4 saying you are just trying to make cheap hooch.

I disagree about bread yeast only producing 10%...my first batch I ever made was a 1 gal cider with 2# of sugar (WAY TO0 MUCH) and bread yeast and if I remember right it was around 16%...but couldn't swear to it, it was some time ago and I've drank since then.

To answer the basic questions...
1. Yes, it is safe to drink... It will be headache juice... but you won't die right away unless you take a bunch of decongestant or prescription meds while drinking...

2. Letting it sit a while is your best bet... This will help the "Fusel" Hot, Rubbing alcohol taste subside... The general rule is that the more alcohol in it - the longer it needs to sit for it to not taste like paint thinner.... In your case - it will probably take 2-3 years to settle down and taste right...

If you are looking for something to drink right away - just mix up some yeast with the apple juice, wait 3-5 days at room temperature, stuff it in the fridge overnight to drop out the yeast, and drink.... It will be pretty decent so long as you don't get greedy and dry to extract every drop out of the yeast sludge.... If you are really trying to be cheap about it - you can wash and re-use your yeast....

Thanks

Well, the first time is always rough. It will be really sweet but it won't kill ya. I'd suggest following a recipe next time though.

Let's assume a few dollars for gallon of apple juice, a few bucks for "surgar" and a dollar and a half for bread yeast...

$3+$3+$1.5= $7.50

Assuming you actually "know liquor", cough up the extra $2.50 for a cheap bottle of vodka to accomplish the goal of "some cheap alcohol" without having to wait a week or two to have it ferment out...

Duckfoot said:
Let's assume a few dollars for gallon of apple juice, a few bucks for "surgar" and a dollar and a half for bread yeast...

$3+$3+$1.5= $7.50

Assuming you actually "know liquor", cough up the extra $2.50 for a cheap bottle of vodka to accomplish the goal of "some cheap alcohol" without having to wait a week or two to have it ferment out...

Not to mention that vodka roughly averages from 30%-50% abv, where apple cider is 5-15%...

Latest posts

Back