Lager Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandomBeerGuy

Reaction score
So I just completed my first ever "lager", I kept it fermenting/lagering for 5+ weeks or so. I read that using flaked corn would not add any flavors. Well its kegged and carbed. So I decide to have a taste and it is awful! :cross: I only used 2 lbs of corn in the mash. The corn flavor is overpowering. Is there any way to tone down the corn flavor outside of adding fruits to mask it? I was thinking of buying hop oil and to try to kill that corn flavor. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I think you're probably tasting DMS. It's a chemical that is created during the boil/fermentation. Once you have it, you're stuck with it. How long did you boil for? Did you keep the boil kettle uncovered? Did you chill quickly? Did you pitch healthy yeast? All these things affect DMS production.

60 minute boil, kettle was uncovered, chilled with wort chiller until 60F or so, shook and pitched. I did notice the yeast were really slow to start up the temp was 51-49 which they still fermented just really, really, slowly. Looks like hop oil will be used :rockin:

A few general tips on lagers:
-if using any Pilsner malt, boil for 90 mins to drive off DMS
-make a huge starter
-pitch at fermenting temps, ~50*F
-do a diacetyl rest at about 62*F for 24-28 hours once you're about 75% of the way thru fermentation (based on SG)
-rack to secondary after Diacetyl rest and begin lagering
-lager for about 40 days at 35-40* F

I don't know why you'd put corn in your beer. That's what the major companies do to save money, no place for it in a hand crafted beer in my opinion.

I've had DMS level diminish before. I think when the CO2 volume increases the level or perceived level of DMS decreases.

Update: So I went to my LHBS and picked up some hop oil. Poured me a glass of the lager in question added the oil and nothing. Smells good but still tasted like corn. So I Drank it, poured another glass. This time adding grapefruit, bam corn flavor gone!, a light hint of grapefruit its pretty neutral. Now it's enjoyable :mug:

Back