Post-Boil Pre-Pitch Filtering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddyfice

Reaction score
Hi,

I just acquired a filter (http://www.brewerylane.com/buonvino.html) from a friend who has decided he doesn't want to make wine any more.

I have noticed rather a lot of trub (I think that's the word) making its way from my boil-pot to my primary. I don't secondary, just primary for 2-4 weeks. Some of my beers have had the oft-cited "chill haze", but I really don't give a hoot about that.

What I'm wondering is; has anyone any experience with filtering the wort pre-pitch? The idea being to remove as much as possible of the particles otherwise carried over from boil to brew (hops, grain).

I also have not tried irish moss yet -- would that be a cheaper or better option to achieve a clearer end-product?

Much obliged.

I've done pretty much all of what you described above, and the my experience has been that none of it makes much difference. Pretty much everything settles to the bottom of the primary after 3 or 4 weeks. Then just siphon to a bottling bucket or keg.

The technique I finally settled on was to pour my cooled wort from the kettle into the primary through a strainer. For me, the strainer is really more to aid in the aeration of the wort than to strain out particles. I quit siphoning. I just didn't have the patience. Sometimes I use Irish moss, and sometimes I don't because half the time a I forget to add it. I have found that it doesn't really impact the beer much unless it is a really light colored beer.

Back