sulfites in fruited beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevecaaster

Reaction score
Hey everyone, If I made a fruited beer, would it contain a level of sulfites? I think this might be a good thing to know because i know at least one person with a sulfite allergy, I wouldnt want to poison her.

also, If I whipped up a batch of edworts apfelwein, would this contain sulfites? (side question, can I do a 5 gal batch of apfelwein in a 5 gallon carboy with like zero headspace?)

thanks a lot!

I thought the whole sulfite allergy thing was just a paranoid myth?

Nothing you make will have sulfites in it unless you put it there IE: campden tablets or potassium/sodium metabisulfite powder. the apfelwein recipe doesn't call for it especially if you want to naturally bottle carb. And for a fruit beer, If you are going to add the fruit to the 2ndary, and it is fresh fruit or maybe even frozen, you will need to soak them over night in a gallon of water with a camden tablet in it to kill any wild yeast on the fruit. The cool thing about metabisulfites is that they kill the yeast by releasing sulfur dioxide, so the sulfites will actually dissipate in the 24 hours that you soak the fruit.

And yes you can do it with no head space.......there shouldn't be any krauzen if you use wine yeast. Not sure if you use ale yeast.

If you want to avoid sulphites you could always just kill the wild yeast by pouring boiling water over the fruit.

F it I just dump fresh fruit in right after a quick rinse in the sink, i usually only put it in wheat beers and it goes nice and fast anyway

Back