Sanatizing a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhdfj2

Reaction score
So my kegerator is done and I'm about to rack my beer into the keg but I have a quick question. I just got this keg and it has been cleaned and all o-rings are new. I know its good to completely disassemble the keg and sanitize the posts and all the other little parts after every few batches. But for this first batch is it alright to just put starsan in there and live it together, or should I remove the posts, tubes, and all other little parts? Thanks

It is always best to clean AND sanitize everything that comes in contact with your beer after the kettle.

Make up some StarSan and water in a spray bottle. Take apart the keg fittings. It really doesn't take very long, maybe 3-5 minutes. Spray StarSan on and in everything. Put it all back together. Spray the inside of the keg. Dump out any liquid that may be inside.

You are now good to go.

Another trick I use is mix up 1/2 gallon of starsan and put it in the keg, put a little CO2 in there. Shake the keg a few times, Invert it and hit the gas in poppet to squirt some out. Right side up again, hit the beer out poppet until starsan squirts out (this fills the dip tube and inside of the post). One more shake and then release the pressure and dump it all out into a container big enough to fit the lid into. Leave the lid in there while you're filling the keg.

Thanks guys.

Bobby_M, love your you tube videos, they've helped me out A LOT.

Back