Contamination Concensus?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brackbrew

Reaction score
I have the BC Sam Adams Cream Stout clone finishing in my secondary (been there a little over two weeks now). I was about to the bung and airlock off tonight to take a gravity reading when I noticed a few little white spots on the top of the outside lip of the carboy neck. I didn't know if was mildew or something that had somehow dried on there. When I ferment, I usually sit the entire carboy (wrapped in a dark t-shirt) in a large rubbermaid tub of water (around 65-67 F) to maintain temperature and darkness. If it was mildew or some kind of mold, I don't know how long ago it would have developed. I ended up not taking the reading and instead washing my hands, finding the highest proof vodka around the lip of the carboy where the spots were. Should I be worried about something inside the carboy that would have spoiled the beer? I washed everything and sanitized it with iodophor before racking; and I didn't rack until the airlock on the primary was bubbling once every 2+ minutes or so.

Long story short: do you (all) think my beer may have been spoiled, or, survived contamination?

If you've fermented in a primary and racked to a secondary for lagering you are bound to have additional fermentation going on at the lower temp.

You may even get another green ring (hops, etc.) on the inside of the bottle as well as different size bubbles. At least, I always do and it's not contaminated/spoiled.

the outside of your carboy isn't surrounded by CO2 and alcohol fumes. Assuming the inside looked good, and doesn't smell bad, tastes good, I'd bottle it .

Back