Leaking Quick Disconnects?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chimaera

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I bought three new stainless steel liquid quick disconnects from a homebrew store the other day.

They all seem to leak, and particularly bad when under pressure (i.e. march pump outlet).

Anyone else had this problem? Any tips to fix it?

They weren't really cheap, and this is pretty annoying.

Where is it leaking from?

Did you wrap the threads with tape first?

If its from the QD area, I would take them back to the store.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. It's leaking from the QD area, not the threads.

They look very much like these.

The plan is to take them back to the store, but I just thought I'd check first to see if it was something easily fixed.

I work at Midwest Supplies and I know they had to reject a whole shipment of these because they didn't seal. I'd return them if you can.

mpcluever said:
I work at Midwest Supplies and I know they had to reject a whole shipment of these because they didn't seal. I'd return them if you can.

Prob the reason they were so cheap? That's f*cked up.

Well they're cheap because they're made in China. There's plenty of rants on here about Chinese factory tolerances.

Make sure they're seated fully, you'll get a 'click' when it's fully connected. I would also make sure the o-rings are good inside them. You can use some keg lube on the o-rings to get a better fit (if you have some on hand). I used that style for a while, before changing over to cam-locks.

What kind of clamps are you connecting the hose to them with?

What kind of clamps are you connecting the hose to them with?

Just regular screwed hose clamps, but they're definitely not leaking from the barb.

I'm going to take them back today; hopefully my HBS guy is understanding.

Back