5 Gallon Glass Water Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mradicsh

Reaction score
New to this "sport" and found a 5 gallon glass water cooler bottle in my mothers basement this morning. Is this the same thing as a carboy, or if not is it suitable as a fermentation chamber. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Don't see why not, just as long as a airlock w/bung fits in the neck. Just clean it with pbw and sanitize it with star san and get brewing.

At 5 gallons it is probably most useful as a secondary fermenter. Or you could do 4 gallon batches. If you did a 5 gallon batch you would most surely get a good blow off.

Just be careful with it. We don't want to hear any stories of broken carboy injuries.

a big glass jug will work fine. five gallons is ok for secondary on a five gallon batch (if you use secondary). for primary you need some more head space. or you can do smaller batches. or you can do apfelwein.

rycov - Bro, you beat me to the afpelwein. 5 gal is perfect because it won't produce krausen. Just watch it micro-bubble and make magic.

I use several of them for secondary and apfelwein. I use plastic milk crates to help carry them and protect them a little.

Thanks everyone for the quick answers. Didn't bring it home with me, so I don't have a picture.

rycov - Bro, you beat me to the afpelwein. 5 gal is perfect because it won't produce krausen. Just watch it micro-bubble and make magic.

its great. super easy too. i always see that suggested when people ask what to do with their old secondaries

Back