Brown and Hoppy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBBaron

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP002
Yeast Starter
cake
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
18 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 @ 65F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 @ 65F
10 lbs. 2-row
1 lbs. Victory
.5 lbs. Caramel 80°L
.25 lbs. Chocolate Malt
1 oz Chinook FWH (first wort hop)
0.5 oz. Chinook (Pellets, 13.00 %AA) boiled 60 minutes.
0.5 oz. Chinook (Pellets, 13.00 %AA) boiled 15 minutes.
0.5 oz. Chinook (Pellets, 13.00 %AA) boiled 2 minutes.
1.5 oz Chinook Dry Hop

Single infusion mash at 152F for 60min

Not sure what you call it but it has more hops flavor and bitterness than many IPAs.

I opened the first bottle tonight one week after bottling. It was carbed up pretty good so the aroma came out much better than at bottling. I was worried as this was my first dry hopped beer and I felt there wasn't much hops at bottling. Now there is plenty of hops flavor and aroma. I don't feel it is grassy or anything but I'm sure others would. The flavor and bitterness is a little harsh, most likely due to a young age. I expect this will get better in the next few weeks. There is some residue sweetness due to the high FG, I measured ~1.018 at bottling. I think next time I will use a yeast will better attenuation or mash at lower temps. Still this beer is very much what I wanted and I will enjoy every bottle. However I think this one will not be near as popular with friends as my earlier batches or my oatmeal stout that is just about ready to drink. This is a hophead only beer.

Craig

Well I was wrong about the popularity of this beer. After about a month of aging the harshness has mellowed out and this is easily my favorite beer. It is also the favorite of my friends and family that appreciate good beer. My oatmeal stout is also popular and my Wit is popular with those who don't drink beer as much but I think this Brown Hoppy is the most appreciated.

Craig

Back