Fruits to use in a Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kokopuff829

Reaction score
I'm going to make a mead soon and was wondering what fruits you guys think would be good. I was thinking getting a bag of frozen mixed berries and using them to get a slight berry taste. How are sweet dessert meads plain?

nothing like a good, fruity mead. I stick with fruit juices though, rather then messing with real fruit. It's usually much quicker, and easier, probably cheaper too.

If you haven't made joe's quick grape mead yet give that a whirl, and you can alter the fruit juices almost indefinitely from that recipe.

yeh they work, just don't get fruit juice cocktail, or any other juice that has preservatives. ascorbic acid is the only acceptable ingredient other than juice and water.

Ok thanks... I think it's a cocktail :( I might just make a basic mead to get the real flavor of it. Unless it's not good without juice.

it's fine without juice, some may even say it's better without any extra flavors, the juice tends to help speed things up. most meads take months to age to a drinkable point, if you use juice and make a melomel it's done in a month.

Well thanks for the help... I'll update on what I choose and how it's going. I think I'm going to do a sweet mead with 10-12lbs of "homemade" honey

Check online or at your LHBS for fruit purees...they will give you the bang of fresh or frozen fruit with a little less of the hassle. Just bottled a cherry mead (the 2010 Mead Day recipe) that used puree and it came out incredible. You can make good mead by blending with juices too though...I make a really good pomegranate mead adding ~ 1 gal of Pom brand juice to a partially fermented straight mead.

Back