austin HBS kits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire_travels

Reaction score
Are Austion HBS mini mash kit....true mini mashes, or are they steeping grains?

I ordered the Rogue Dead guy and any info would be great!

Here is the mini-mash AHS Baltic Porter I bottled about 2 weeks ago. Yes, the grains (3.875 lbs) need to be mashed. They come crushed and mixed in a sealed bag, ready to go. I waited to add the extract until 15 min left in boil to increase hop utilization.

Ingredients Quantity Grain Use
2.25 lb German pilsener mashed
0.25 lb Moravian Black Malt mashed
0.50 lb Crystal 60L mashed
0.50 lb Crystal 90L mashed
0.25 lb American chocolate malt mashed
0.12 lb American black patent mashed
8.50 lb Amber malt extract extract
Quantity Hop Form Time
1.00 oz Marinka 9% pellet 90 minutes
1.00 oz Lubelski 4.2% pellet 15 minutes

Yes, the mini-mashes are exactly that. The proceedure they recommend is simple.

I just got a mini-mash kit from AHBS and the instructions actually only have you steeping the grains, no rinsing. To me, that is not mini-mashing...

thanks guys.. I should check then order but I was in a bit of a hurry! I ordered the Rogue Dead Guy Ale clone kit and I intend to do a mini mash!

thakns again

Technically they are PM as you use much less extract than their extract kits. ~1 quart versus ~1 gallon.

I've contemplated the whole "no-rinsing" thing too...I decided that they (AHS) has devised a good, simple, and easy to brew system. Despite no-rinsing, I got really high efficiency with my grains/extract last time I brewed.

There is something to be said about the convience-factor and quality recipes that AHS sells. I dig their kits and they are good platforms for experimenting with recipes and other ingredients.

I just got my Summit IPA extract kit from them today. I am thinking about actually mashing the grains vs. the steeping and draining they have you do. I just built my mash tun and kind of wanted to get a feel for the AG side of things. Would this be advisable or should I should do it like they say?

Dan

I got my Rogue Dead Guy clone yesterday as well and i am planning on doing a mini mash and sparge! This kit has 2.5 lbs of 2-row.. and if i am not wrong it needs to be mashed and sparge to convert and recover the sugers! I did the Rogue shake. stout by (steeping)and I missed the OG. by quit abit!

A while ago, I was thinking of ordering the Newcastle clone from Austin Homebrew and I emailed them asking how I should alter their instructions if I was planning on mashing rather than steeping. Their response was:

"If you do mini mash in your cooler use the amount of grain the recipe calls for but use less water. Use 1.5 quarts of water to 1 lb. of grain. Example: The mini mash has 2.5lbs. of grain in it. So you want to use 3.75 quarts of water to mash the
grains. I hope this helps."

But, then I wonder (and did not follow up), how much water would I sparge with. I am guessing I would add enough water so that my pre-boil amount would total the amount that the instructions say to boil (which I think is 2.5 gallons in their recipes).

On a side note:

I ended up not doing this recipe and went for my first all grain recipe last night (a newcastle clone). My AG seemed to go great, but I spaced out and put all the hops in at the same time for a 90 minute boil (a reason not to drink too much and brew). I think that this beer is going to be way too bitter for my tastes, so when it is drinking time, I am probably going to have to pour half a beer into a pint glass and top it off with a less bitter beer.

-tired

Just last weekend I popped the keg of AHS Rogue Shakespeare Stout (it was keg conditioning for a about 5-6 weeks) and MAN, it is AWESOME. Spot freaking on. I'm doing a side-by-side tonight, but I could not be happier with the results. One of the best beers I've made......but it makes me wish I followed through with the stout tap and nitro setup!!!!! There is always 'next time' :D

Back