Done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgod4520

Reaction score
I brewed my first beer a few weeks ago, a brown ale from Sam Calagione's book. I pitched wlp001 at an original gravity of 1.079 and it's fermented down to 1.017, but it seems to have stalled out. According to Calagione, the yeast should take this down to 1.010. I realize that with high original gravity beers, fermentation will take longer, but it's been more than three weeks and there's almost no krausen. The airlock is bubbling very slowly, even after adding yeast nutrient a few days ago. The book suggests fermentation will be done in under three weeks, so should I wait or bottle?

You take your hydrometer reading, and it will tell you where you beer is at and what you should do. Neither an airlock bubbling, nor a calendar is a way to tell what is happening.

The only way to truly know what is going on in your fermenter is with your hydrometer. Like I said here in my blog, which I encourage you to read, Think evaluation before action you sure as HELL wouldn't want a doctor to start cutting on you unless he used the proper diagnostic instuments like x-rays first, right? You wouldn't want him to just take a look in your eyes briefly and say "I'm cutting into your chest first thing in the morning." You would want them to use the right diagnostic tools before the slice and dice, right? You'd cry malpractice, I would hope, if they didn't say they were sending you for an MRI and other things before going in....

Thinking about "doing anything" like repitching, racking, or bottling, without first taking a hydrometer reading is tantamount to the doctor deciding to cut you open without running any diagnostic tests....Taking one look at you and saying, "Yeah I'm going in." You would really want the doctor to use all means to properly diagnose what's going on?

well looks like he did take a gravity reading. i would say wait another week and continue to take gravity reading. if you get 1.017 for three days straight its time to bottle.

Welcome to HBT!
It looks like your attenuation is at 77% so it may very well be done. It won't hurt to leave it another week. In fact it is usually beneficial since it is still clearing and aging while it is in the fermenter. As Tinga said, take another reading in a few days and see if it is still moving or finished.

I missed the actual reading just what the target og was. You're below 1.020 which to me is pretty much in the safe zone. I agree with ting, just give it anouther week,you can then take a reading if it is 1.017 then go ahead an bottle.

I brewed my first beer a few weeks ago, a brown ale from Sam Calagione's book. I pitched wlp001 at an original gravity of 1.079 and it's fermented down to 1.017, but it seems to have stalled out. According to Calagione, the yeast should take this down to 1.010. I realize that with high original gravity beers, fermentation will take longer, but it's been more than three weeks and there's almost no krausen. The airlock is bubbling very slowly, even after adding yeast nutrient a few days ago. The book suggests fermentation will be done in under three weeks, so should I wait or bottle?

You should wait at least a week after doing the highlighted action!

Yeast nutrient can lend its self to an off flavor if the yeast do not have time to process it.

I am pleased to read the you are using your hydrometer! It is a very important tool when homebrewing.

Other than trying your patience, waiting to bottle a brew an extra week or so only helps to clear up your brew. I prefer bulk aging to bottle aging.
I have found that it produces a consistent product when you get it in to the bottle.

1.017 from 1.079 is not a bad fermentation at all. you right in the attenuation window for your yeast.

I say give it a week and then test for 3 days if you get the same reading 3 days in a row bottle away !

Thanks for the quick replies everybody. I did forget to write that two consecutive readings had shown 1.017, but this afternoon it was down to 1.014. Looks like patience was--like it always seems to be--the way to go.

Back