wyeast smack pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sha0056

Reaction score
fairly new to homebrewing (about 10 extract batches so far), and just got the northern brewer imperial stout extract kit with Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale yeast. upon opening the package, the smack pack is already expanded. if I keep this refrigerated will it still be OK when I get around to brewing (likely 3 weeks from now)?

Depends on if it is really expanded all the way, or just 'puffy'. Does it look like what a normally smacked pack looks like - bulging, ready to pop? Regardless, you might be able to make a starter and step it up.

looks as expanded as the smack packs I've previously used (about 3 in all) after about 4 hours

From the Wyeast website faq page:

"7. I popped the inner nutrient pouch and the package swelled tight but I can’t use it right away. What do I do?

If you have activated a package but can’t use it right away, simply allow the package to swell and then refrigerate the package. The yeast will survive for extended periods if refrigerated. Before using, take the package out of the refrigerator and allow it to come up to room temperature before using. It is best to use the yeast as soon as possible."

link is http://www.wyeastlab.com/faqs.cfm?website=1#r20

If you got it in the fridge when you got it it's probably going to be OK, but as suprchunk said, making a starter to verify it's viability would be a good choice. I had a batch that had all sorts of problems on brew day (after I'd "smacked the pack") and I actually ended up dumping the whole thing before the boil. I let the pack sit in the fridge, after swelling, for about a week before I got new plumbing in place. I didn't do a starter and it turned out fine, but this is anecdotal evidence.

The best advice is to make a starter, and if it ferments decant the clear liquid from the top and pitch the thick slurry. If there's anything off about it or you aren't comfortable get a new yeast pack from your LHBS before you brew.

thanks for the advice. put the pack in the fridge as soon as I opened it. will plan to make a starter several days before brew day to be sure I have plenty of healthy yeast

had a little time last night so decided to make a starter. smacked the pack just in case and left at room temp (75 deg) for 3 hours before pitching into 3 L wort at about 1.040. got yeast pitched at midnight and evidence of krausen by 5 hours. swirling to aerate / suspend yeast every hour or so with a large release of co2 each swirl.

looks like the yeast will be just fine and plan to brew the imperial stout tomorrow night!

i just made a starter with my smack pack last night and i wouldnt be able to smack it after i did the first time. when the package swells it swells a lot.

this was already fairly swollen when it arrived and really didn't swell any more after I smacked it, but figured I'd give it a try anyway

fairly new to homebrewing (about 10 extract batches so far), and just got the northern brewer imperial stout extract kit with Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale yeast. upon opening the package, the smack pack is already expanded. if I keep this refrigerated will it still be OK when I get around to brewing (likely 3 weeks from now)?

The expansion of the smack pack is just to show that the yeast is viable. It is proofing the yeast. How long was the yeast in the mail? The temperature fluctuations will have more impact of the yeast viability than the expansion of the pack.

yeast was in the mail about 3 days with an ice pack (but warm and expanded when it arrived). just put it into the fridge immediately

currently the starter is in the fridge (after about 18 hours of activity and frequent shaking) to let the yeast drop out. looks like a nice thick layer of yeast already on the bottom of the gallon jug used for the starter

no worries at all about yeast viability. vigorous fermentation within less than 7 hours of pitching the starter! looking forward to a RIS in about 6 months!

Latest posts

Back