Weizenbock extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clay

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of Weizenbock on Saturday. The recipe called for 8lbs of wheat extract and i used probably a little more then 9lbs. Does anyone think I'll have any problems?

Thanks

Clay said:
Does more LME mean higher Alcohol content?

No, it means :Liquid Malt Extract"...but I think you really were asking a different question... :D

Technically, your 9 lbs of LME is more than 9 lbs of DME (Dry). There's a ratio I posted as a chart somewhere on this forum. See if you can locate it or maybe someone else knows where it is.

So, your beer will have a higher alcohol content than 9 lbs of DME, but it will also be sweeter.

Did you compensate for the additional sugar/malt? Probably not. Most people forget to do that too.
You may have to end up dry hopping some. Start reading up on the process now and you'll be ready should you decide to go that route.

Good luck. :D

Yea, I wrote that wrong. I meant by adding a pound more of extract will that make more alcohol in the beer. Thanks for the answer HB99. I'll look up that chart. And also, no I didn't compensate for the extra extract.

Weisenbock...Mmmnn...

I did the same thing to my Weisenbock, and it turned out really good. I only have about 6 -16oz. left, so I must brew another one up.

homebrewer_99 said:
Technically, your 9 lbs of LME is more than 9 lbs of DME (Dry). There's a ratio I posted as a chart somewhere on this forum. See if you can locate it or maybe someone else knows where it is.

Much like a pound of lead weighs more than a pound of feathers.

homebrewer_99 said:
Technically, your 9 lbs of LME is more than 9 lbs of DME (Dry).

I may be wrong but I'd just thought I'd throw this out there.
9 lbs LME minus 20% water = 7.2 lbs DME
9 lbs DME = 9 lbs DME

so wouldn't 9 lbs LME be less than 9 lbs DME?

could someone please clear this up?

B :confused: :confused: TYTRAPPIST

bootytrapper said:
I may be wrong but I'd just thought I'd throw this out there.
9 lbs LME minus 20% water = 7.2 lbs DME
9 lbs DME = 9 lbs DME

so wouldn't 9 lbs LME be less than 9 lbs DME?

could someone please clear this up?

B :confused: :confused: TYTRAPPIST

what you really mean to ask is "does 9lbs of DME contain more actual malt that 9lbs of LME?" The answer is YES.

DME does not have added water weight. 1lb of DME contains more of the stuff you are after than 1lb of LME.

-walker

Back