OG higher that expected.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corey_James

Reaction score
I just brewed a Chocolate Oatmeal Stout and the target gravity was supposed to be 1.054. But my OG was 1.105. This seems a lot higher than it should be, did I oops somewhere. Here is the recipe that I used.

1/4 lb of Chocolate malt
1 lb of Flaked Oat
1 lb of Wheat malt
1 lb of Munich malt
3/4 lb of Roasted Barley 300
7 lbs of extra light LME
1/8 lb of lactose. (added to the last 15 min of boil)

Let me know if I should do anything or just let it ferment and see where I end up. :eek:

Beersmith came up with 1.073 for me when I entered those ingredients for a 5 gallon batch.

Well, it is making that oh familiar bubbling sound as those little yeast munch away. It smelled good, tasted good and .... I guess we'll see how it goes.

I didn't put it all into Beersmith, but I'd venture to say that it's not possible to hit overshoot your OG by that much. Could you have possibly made the recipe for 10 gallons but only brewed 5 gallons?

I assume that you did a 2-3 gallon boil and added top up water? The top up water probably didn't mix properly giving you the 1.105 reading.
That's what I did, but I thought that I mixed it well enough. Mix water, then wort, then water etc. about a gallon at a time and stirred with racking cane. Then I took the gravity. Stirred it up some more and then took it again and came up with the same #. Just a little lost.

I don't know buddy, I can't see any legitimate reason why it would be so high esp with an extract brew. Let it go and see what happens.

Temp was 77 degrees. I thought it was a little high, that is why I took it a second time after I mixed it again. It is currently fermenting away, I think that I am going to let it finish and then see where I am running at. I tasted a little wort and it had really good flavor.

Back