Not enough time to finish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lewisjharvey

Reaction score
Hi all,

Now I know you're all thinking I should've planned this better and you are right but I am now in a slight panic.

The mash is in now and I have a commitment I have to attend stopping me from having enough time to sparge and then boil before I go.

What I want to ask is that if I sparge and the wort goes cool before returning later to boil, will this be hugely detrimental to the finished beer?

Thanks for your help.

Lewis

To be honest, I don't really know how extending the time between mash out and boiling will effect the beer, but my guess is that you will be just fine as long as you keep the wort in a closed sanitized environment.

Wouldn't that be similar to LME, just with more water still in it. I can't imagine you would have to many problems doing that. Not much risk for infection either since you are still going to boil it. I guess if it was left for too long it could possibly start to ferment. How long do you plan on leaving it?

I thought so at first, but I don't think he's asking about overnight mash

this is probably way too late to be of any help, but if you want to take all your runnings and save the boil for later, that should be OK. as always, but especially in this case SANITATION is key. you're going to boil anyway, so again... you should be OK

I've left wort overnight and did the boil in the morning with the 2nd part of a parti-gyle, when it got too late after finishing up the big beer. haven't seen the results yet, the small beer has been in the bottle only a week. when I was bottling, there was nothing to indicate there was anything wrong with it

Keep it covered and keep any raw grain--or anything that has contacted raw grain--far from the wort. Best would be to run it into an ale pail and seal it up with a lid.

Thanks all. I left it in a sealed sanitised container for 4 hours and it seems fine. Just started the boil so fingers crossed. There was no sour off smell at all.

Better planning required next time!

For others who want to know the result, the boil was fine and it has fermented well. The wort is fine if left sterile for a few hours after mashing.

It sounds like you just made LME basically... could actually be a good idea if you were trying to make a bigger beer and wanted to save on overall brew time...

possibly.

It is funny Cyclman but it was slightly higher than normal. Had a taste today for hydro reading and it's one if the best I've ever made... so far.

Back