12-12-12 Wee Heavy Recipe Formulation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm entering some as well. *phew* I'm glad I'm not the only one getting the low head. A vigorous pour gets me a 3/8" cap that hangs out for a minute then quickly subsides. I like it though. With the oak and the low carbonation, it's a lot like having a cask ale in a bottle.

Just got back from an underway and popped one of mine open. I had pitched in some EC-1118, and was worried that it had sat too long at room temperature (about 2 months). Very mild, gentle carbonation - I agree that it's like cask ale.

There is a huge molasses aroma and initial taste. Mild carbonation yields a nice bite, and then the giant malt profile bludgeons you. The high ABV only makes itself known going down your throat, with a nice warming sensation.

So, when are we shipping these/to whom?

That sounds a lot like mine. I'm not sure how the swap will go. I think smokinghole was going to handle that.

Ooh yeah! For everyone participating please post up or PM me and I will make a list then divide it up like last years 11-11-11 Old ale. We should start shipping in a week or two just to be safe I think.

Reading these posts of bottling and tasting notes reminds me of my poor beer and its demise. My cat seems to have largely stopped eating, being 17 years old, when she kicks off I will be rebrewing this beer, she was the tool of the first batches destruction, and like the Phoenix, this beer shall rise from the cats ashes, not literally, but figuratively, I wouldn't brew with the cats ashes, it would be too bitter, wouldn't cremate her either, just dig a hole and plunk.... In she goes.

Cat acheved room temp, plunked her into a hole in the back yard, I might brew this recipe again over the thanksgiving long weekend, possibly Christmas weekend the latest, sad I will be missing out on the swap, I was really looking forward to it.

azscoob said:
Cat acheved room temp, plunked her into a hole in the back yard, I might brew this recipe again over the thanksgiving long weekend, possibly Christmas weekend the latest, sad I will be missing out on the swap, I was really looking forward to it.

What else you got?? I'll still swap some with you homeboy

Get a taxidermist to clean the cat's skull up and make it into a tap handle. :eek:

I was planing on being part of the swap, but I just tasted a bottle from the stash. It's been at room temp all year, and is past it's prime. Should've invested in a walk in cooler...

AZscoob

Sorry to hear about your cat - I was never a cat person, but when the wife's cat finally meowed her final meow - I have to admit I missed the little pain. PITA or not they have a way of becoming part of the family.

I'd be willing to do a trade with you - even if you don't have the 12-12-12 beer.

I was planing on being part of the swap, but I just tasted a bottle from the stash. It's been at room temp all year, and is past it's prime. Should've invested in a walk in cooler...

Minus the couple I'm keeping to age longer, and the ones I'm bringing home for Christmas, I have 20 to swap (if that's not enough, I can cut back my reserve). I think we'll have plenty; I have no issue swapping with you. Mine have been at room temperature more or less as well, and I didn't taste any off notes.

I'm definitely not unloading more than 20 of these. I figured I'd swap a 6 pack with 3 people.

Ok, let me test one more tomorrow. It wasn't any off flavors, but just a reduction of flavor, if memory serves right from earlier this year. I could also just be overly critical, when I read what others write about their beer, it sounds great and I start to wonder about my own.

When's the cut off date? I would imagine these need to be in the mail by next week?

Hows this sound for the swap rules?

You'll ship to three randomly assigned people
You'll receive from two randomly assigned people
You'll ship a minimum of 44 ounces. (Two 22 ouncers, four 12 ouncers or any combination thereof).
As with previous x/x/x swaps, at least two of the bottles (regardless of size) should be the 12-12-12 Wee Heavy. You are welcome to also include other creations that the recipient might enjoy sooner. No "crap" beer that you just need to get rid of please.
In the end, we should all end up with at least 6 bottles of 12-12-12 and likely some additional varieties.

Please consider carefully:
If you are not 100% convinced that you will see this through, please do not agree to participate.
Please agree only if you are relatively sober at the time...then you can get as druck as you like...
If you've stiffed anyone in a prior swap, you need not apply.
If you've been stiffed in a prior swap, PM me with info and I'll filter the list accordingly.

Anyone who brewed this beer is elgible to participate!

I'd like to have everything arranged by 27Nov2012 so that we have a couple weeks to complete shipping, receiving, etc. So please respond in this thread before that time. I'll randomly assign each participant 2 recipients and post up the matches. At that time, it will be up to you to contact your recipients to get shipping info, etc.

It's a copy and paste from KingBrianI's 11-11-11 swap. The main difference is I opted to just have each of us ship to two people instead of three. We can certain ship to three though if you guys are willing. Let me know in the next day how many you want to ship to whether two or three.

I'd like to get everything wrapped up by the 27th. So we have a couple weeks to ship. Once everything is settled I will put everyone's names in a bowl and draw for who's shipping to who. Then I will post up the results and everyone can PM each other for shipping details.

The only problem I see is that if I send to 3, and receive from 2, I'm down by 1 swap. Are you going to be the 3rd person everyone ships to? ;)

It sounds good to me, although the C&P'd rules and your addendum don't match - are we shipping to two, or three? I'd be up for three.

Just want to try and clear this up a bit. Sorry I forgot to post up "rules" earlier, first of all. So do we want to ship to three people? It is a small pool and I think it'd be much closer to a swap just not a one to one swap.

Also if you guys don't have other homebrew I think some local brew is acceptable.

I'm ok with either 2 or 3 swaps. I have 6 bottles of wee heavy put aside, and if we have 3 I'll just put in a bottle of a good local brewery.

Updated
Current Swap List:
Smokinghole
Cromwell
MDVDuber
Stephonovich
xeerohour
JuanKenobi
bottlebomber
CrystallineEntity
CA-LT1
xeerohour

Okay sorry I neglected to post up this week. It sounds like everyone is fine with shipping to three people. So I will get the list posted up tomorrow so we can start shipping.

So it'll be two bottles of 12-12-12 and two other homebrews. If you have no other homebrews to send at the moment then send a good local craft you think someone would like to try.

Any objections? If there are no objections I will start a new thread for the swap and reviews.

My only request if possible would be that I would like to swap with one other person who made the bare bones recipe of 20 lbs MO 4 ounces of RB, I'm curious to see how that turned out for someone else. If anyone would like to step forward maybe you could be my swap buddy #1.

Mine is the simple grain bill. 20# MO, not sure exactly how much RB I used, but it was somewhere in the 3-5 oz range. 2% I think.

EDIT: Oops, scratch that. Forgot I used Golden Promise. 20# Golden Promise, 6oz. Roasted Barley.

All this talk has got me thinking

image-3373151311.jpg

I used 20lb Maris Otter, 4oz roasted barley, and 2oz of Chocolate, so I'm close.

Sorry I won't be participating in the swap. Being stored too hot for 2 months while we were between houses, moving to a new place, then living through a partial flood of the new house, mine did not make it. Or I screwed something up somewhere (thought I tried to be awfully careful). Either way, I wouldn't feel right trading my bad beer for someone's good.

Looking forward to seeing reviews and tasting notes on what everyone else came up with though. I'd made the original recipe, and was really hoping to compare it to one made with crystal. Make sure all you lucky traders update here, so I can live vicariously. Enjoy!

I used 20 lb of Golden Promise.
8 oz Roasted Barley
EKG for 27 IBUs
White Labs Edinburgh Ale yeast.

My OG was a bit light, this was my first really heavy beer and I didn't know about the loss in efficiency.

I'm starting to wonder if we're going to make it in time for 12-12-12.

Honestly, not the end of the world. These are strong enough beers I'm not sure I want to drink 4 of them in one day anyway. I'd still be game just to try some of the other attempts, regardless of when I get them.

I've never mailed beer before. Is there a way to do it that works well? Just pack them in a box and send it via USPS? Tell them it's beer?

Cromwell said:
I've never mailed beer before. Is there a way to do it that works well? Just pack them in a box and send it via USPS? Tell them it's beer?

USPS typically doesn't ask what's in the package at least not in my experience. They are also cheaper for smaller parcels. UPS does ask. Neither will knowingly ship alcohol because in order to do that there has to be someone on the other end providing ID and signing for it. You can ship "Live Yeast Samples" though ;)

Yeah 12.12.12 probably isn't going to happen at this point, which is fine by me. This thing needs to get moving though. I'd like to swap with xeerohour and any two other people on the list.

FYI bottlebomber, even though my recipe is close, it spent several months in a five gallon oak barrel. So I have some strong molasses, sherry, boozy flavors, caused by a combination of oxidation in the barrel and the rum/bourbon mix that this barrel was previously used before.

I'm still more than willing to swap with you, but full disclosure and all.

xeerohour said:
FYI bottlebomber, even though my recipe is close, it spent several months in a five gallon oak barrel. So I have some strong molasses, sherry, boozy flavors, caused by a combination of oxidation in the barrel and the rum/bourbon mix that this barrel was previously used before.

I'm still more than willing to swap with you, but full disclosure and all.

Sounds delicious. Mine was oaked, and I soaked the oak in Macallan 18. Full disclosure ;)

If there's anyone up in the Nashua area in another few weeks, mine will be on tap and ready for pouring. :drunk::drunk: Just be sure to have either a designated driver, a full stomach and/or be prepared to wait until you're safe to drive if you come over. :D

Back