Hops Schedule for 90 Minute Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sucrebrew

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I was hoping that I could get some advice on my hops schedule. I am going to make an all grain APA from Pilsner Malt (only malt available to me where I am located, in Bolivia), and I have noted that the recommend boil time is 90 minutes to drive off the DMS. I am making a 4.5 gallon batch.

I was originally going to do a 60 minute boil with the following hops schedule:

1/2 Oz Columbus @ 60
1 Oz Cascade @ 20
1 Oz Cascade @ 10

With a 90 minute boil, how would I adapt the hops schedule?

If you have already calculated that you want X level of bitterness in your beer and you have properly calculated your utilization numbers then I would keep the hop schedule the same, especially with the Cascade hop additions. To add Columbus at 75 min or 90 min will give you a slightly higher utilization % making the beer slightly more bitter (if one can even tell the difference at that point.) I would keep the hop schedule the same

Thanks for your quick response. So basically, I would either boil for the 1st 30 minutes without adding hops? Or, per your recommendation, if I wanted a more bitter beer, add the Columbus at 90 or 75 instead of 60?

Exactly, the decision is up to you. You cannot ruin it either way. It just depends on your mood. I would avoid the 90 minute hop addition for now just so the beer doesn't get more bitter then you expected. Ahh, the joy of experimentation

Back