Coopers drops CO2 volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveWheeler

Reaction score
Apologies if this is addressed elsewhere, I've been searching without success. I'm going to be kegging for the first time, but since a number of my batches are in the 6 gallon range, and I also enter competitions, I want to continue bottle priming a portion of the batches going into kegs. Since I'm talking about priming only a gallon or less in bottles, it would be nice to not have to fart around with batch priming the bottles; but since I do enter competitions, I want to carbonate to style.

The Coopers package states content weight as 250 grams, with 60 drops per package. That works out to a bit over 4 grams per drop. Using a carbonation calculator (I presume 68* at bottling), that would translate to over 4 volumes of CO2 per 12 oz. bottle, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me since I've never had a gusher or bottle bomb using them in the past, and don't recall any beers with them being very overcarbonated. In fact, I've used them with some beers where the remainder was batch primed, and don't recall much if any difference in the carbonation levels (but it's been a while).

Does anyone here have a reliable figure for the CO2 volumes one gets with the Coopers drops? Am I missing something here? Why does it appear that there would be so much carbonation with them when using a carbonation calculator? Both the calculators in my favorites list, and BeerSmith for that matter, give a priming sugar amount for 2.6 volumes at 68* that translates to around 2.5 grams per bottle; FAR less than the weight of a Coopers drop. Ultimately again, I'm just looking for the CO2 volumes with the drops, within those parameters. Thanks.

Sorry old thread, but I was looking for this answer too. And was able to find it.

Coopers drops (27% glucose and 73% Sucrose and carbonate) Contains just a total of 3g-3.3g of sucrose so they produce 3.13-3.36 volumes per 355ml/12oz or 3.04-3.06 in 740ml/24oz bottle

Back