New experimental brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vahallasbrew2

Reaction score
New idea from vahallasbrew sweet potato mead it struck me while I was at walmart conversing with my dad about stupid people like the prez, and the ones that complain about not getting enough food stamps this month when thier getting 800 a month, Any do I was thinking about since honey is sweet and sweet potatoes are sweet and I love sweet potato as a tester I was considering many for a gallon batch oh a pound and a half of honey since the potatos are already sweet why add more than needed for the taters I could skin them boil them for a bit to soften them up a little then drop them in maybe 1 large tater diced, with a stick of cinnamon, and a clove 2 if you really like Clove, and maybe a little brown sugar maybe for that sweet potato pie taste hmm I think I'll try this one my self. Tell me what you think

I love my potatos but I would rather eat them then drink them lol. If you do try this then I would say not to boil the potato. Treat it just like you would fruit in a melomel.

Alrighty I won't boil them, I have a question out of curiosity would the starches from the potato work as food for the yeast? Or could it possibly hurt them?
Most people rather eat them to haha, I enjoy doing odd experiments for my line :D I hope to have when I open my liquor store in the future hopefully

What i'm thinking will happen is that after the yeast have polished off all the glocose they will redirect their attention to your starches. however inorder to do this they will have to produce enzymes to break down the carbohydrates into glocose which is their primary food. So because they have to use extra energy to break down the carbs I would assume that It wouldn't be a very good food source for the yeast. But, I could be wrong and this is just my 2 cents. Good luck on the sweet patato mead.

New idea from vahallasbrew sweet potato mead it struck me while I was at walmart conversing with my dad about stupid people like the prez, and the ones that complain about not getting enough food stamps this month when thier getting 800 a month, Any do I was thinking about since honey is sweet and sweet potatoes are sweet and I love sweet potato as a tester I was considering many for a gallon batch oh a pound and a half of honey since the potatos are already sweet why add more than needed for the taters I could skin them boil them for a bit to soften them up a little then drop them in maybe 1 large tater diced, with a stick of cinnamon, and a clove 2 if you really like Clove, and maybe a little brown sugar maybe for that sweet potato pie taste hmm I think I'll try this one my self. Tell me what you think

Just a thought here, but you could end up with a starch haze if there are no enzymes to convert the starch. You might want to do a mini-mash with some 2 row to get more sugars out of the starch. I've never tried it, but there are a few who have made sweet potato beer:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/sweet-potato-beer-112093/

The actual flavour of a sweet potato is rather mild without any spices or sugars; wrap one in some aluminum foil & bake it in the oven, with no spices, sugars or butter, you'll see what I mean. There is definately flavour there, but I think it's the spices & sugars that really make those sweet potatoes pop. Just my 2 cents worth.
Regards, GF.

Yeah I was thinking about the starch makin it kinda murky, I'm ok with it unless it harms the brew in anyway would the murkiness hurt the brew? Or would it just make it ugly?

Yeah I was thinking about the starch makin it kinda murky, I'm ok with it unless it harms the brew in anyway would the murkiness hurt the brew? Or would it just make it ugly?
probably the later.

starches that exist in the brew could be handled by the addition of amylase, or that's my understanding anyway.

You will definitely need to do some sort of conversion on the startches. You could do some sort of modified mash with a small amount of malted barley (you could use 6-row rather than 2 row...6 row has more diastatic power per pound, and might better convert an additional carbohydrate load like a potato), or use amylase powder. The amylase powder is a bit of an unknown to me...you might have to learn a bit more about the specific amylase and what temps to use it at, although I think the amylase powder generally sold to brewers is active at fermentation temps, so you could possibly just add that to the fermentation chamber.

Back