Label Critique/Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goggledone

Reaction score
Here's the deal

I've gotten into brewing bigger beers and – bigger beers only – as I'd rather sip two or three Russian Imperial Stouts or Barley Wines in a night over 8-12 Pale Ales.

Accordingly, I'll drink probably all but a six pack of each batch after the proper amount of aging (6-12 months). The beers consumed early will be labeled by the tried and true sharpie initial on bottlecap method.

After that point I'll save the aforementioned sixer and drink one every year. I'm doing these vertical tastings to see how I progress as a home brewer, but also to see how the beers change. With these six packs I really want to make labels. It's really just for ****s n' giggles, but I also want them to look professional. Maybe even hand out a few as gifts to family and close friends.

Here's what I've got so far for a barley wine I fudged up a little, but still expect to be good. The style specific stuff will obviously change depending on the beer:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lagniappemobile/5714080578/in/photostream

Feedback is welcome. But I've also got a question or two.

I really like the feel and thickness of Great Divide's label stock and from a little research it appears as if they use something called "Estate #9" Does anyone know anything about this? Also, is it best to get the labels printed on a laserjet printer at a kinkos or something?

Working on the label issue, but are the any answers for thick paper stock similar to that of great Divide or that used on may wine labels?

I am not familiar with the great divide label stock, but I am a graphic designer and purchase print so I can answer technical paper stock questions. In general laser printers and most common ink jests can print up to 100# (#=pound or weight) stock. Thicker than this and you usually have to have a larger commercial grade printer, and even then over 110# paper can be a stretch. Again, I am not sure about the great divide stock, but a 9 point stock is roughly equivalent to 100#. so it should work. Usually when people use thicker stocks for labels they will use an uncoated stock- as opposed to a gloss stock. If you are going to print on a toner based printer (color laser like at kinks) I would do a test print. The toner will adhere unevenly on a matte stock and it might not look like what you want. Then again sometimes we will intentionally do this for the effect. An ink jet my be the way to go. You might also look around for a digital printed running an indigo press-they are by far the best.

Hope this helps. I'd be happy to help if you have other questions. Also I am one of the owners of grogtag.com, a label creation site. If you can't figure out this thicker stock issue and want to try grogtag out, send me a private message and I will give you a %25 off coupon in trade for some feedback.

Back