Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyraxx

Reaction score
Just got my hands on some fresh hops, and I'd like to age some for a brett beer I'll be brewing in the Spring. Now since they are fresh, do I need to dry them before I age them? If so, will a food dehydrator work? I have a warm spot in my house where I'll put the brown paper bag with them in it, I'm just concerned with whether or not they need to be dried beforehand.

yes you need to dry hops to store them, however you dont need to age hops before using in a brett or sour ale so long as you are pitching a culture of bugs

the only reason to use large quantities of aged hops is when you are doing a spontaneous fermentation, and the reason aged hops are used is that you can add a lot of them which provides protection against bad bacteria but doesnt add much in the way of bitterness

so when pitching a culture you dont need to worry about bad bugs so bittering with whatever hop you have on hand to your desired IBU level is good enough

Say I wanted to just for the novelty of it...would storing them in a paper bag in a warm place be the way to go?

sounds fine, although with that limited amount of time you may just get cheesy hops rather than a clean flavor, I have some hops that Ive aged in my garage for ~2.5yrs that were very very cheesy for at least 1yr, and they still have a subtle hint of it

Back