Will this be an issue?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ti28

Reaction score
Well yesterday I bottled a Milk stout that has been sitting for 4.5 weeks, I forgot to take a finished reading because I was in a hurry to get things done because I had to do a bunch of running around to do after.

Well need less to say I had 48 bottles filled and capped. Had only a few more to do when it hit me, that I never took a reading. Well I filled up the test tube and it read in a 1.030. The dam thing stalled out at 1.030. It started at 1.048.

What do you guys think, just a sweat beer with hardly any ABV?

Or do you think the priming sugar could raise it that much?

I don't know I'm lost, everything went well, it took off in less 12 hours and held a krausen for 1 week.

Wyeast 1028 smack pack that was swollen about 2" pitched at 70*

Hmm, I'm not expert, but did you aerate well?

Also, I know that milk stouts have an addition of lactose sugar, which is unfermentable. This adds the sweetness of a milk stout. How much did you add? A large addition could raise the gravity.

Lets let the experts chime in though. At face value, it seems under-attenuated.

Put it somewhere safe in case the bottles pop. It COULD be ok, but if I were you I would open 1 every 3 days after 1 week, after chilling each 1-4 hours in fridge. If they start to seem "Foamy, or Gusher" chill all and have an emergency party.

While it does sound like it was not finished, consider that when you measured you had both lactose and priming sugar. It does not sound like it stuck as high as you think. That said, bottle bombs could be an issue.

Answer me this, should the lactose been added during bottling then? If the lactose can skue the reading that much, why did the directions say to add at flame out?

I'm kinda lost on that. Though I do agree the lactose could bump the FG.

Answer me this, should the lactose been added during bottling then? If the lactose can skue the reading that much, why did the directions say to add at flame out?

I'm kinda lost on that. Though I do agree the lactose could bump the FG.

Yes, &/or NO.

Heres why. Yes feel free to experiment you could have added the lactose at bottling after you got a good finile gravity, but what would that have done to the finile "flavor blending". You cant really know unless you do a side by side batch. If your curious and like the beer you made change it up next time (Make shure you take and took notes) next time ad the lac at bottling, compare gravities, you'll learn from the experience. Save a bottle from the first batch, wait 2 or three months and taste them together.

I bottled a stout OG 1.048, bottled at 1.024
Every bottle exploded/was a complete loss.

And it too sat quite a while when I finally said "screw it" and bottled.

I don't see these bottles surviving long. bottling likely roused the yeast and they'll ferment in the bottle and go BOOM.

Also FYI yinz guys know all those "UN-fermentable" sugers, lactose, dextrine, maltodextrine, etc. If you get an infection of a wild yeast or bacteria, they can eat that stuff, leading to gussers, bottle grenades, and "interesting" new flavors.

Latest posts

Back