The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a volunteer server at a lot of the Beerfest in Portland and about once a shift I have someone come up to me and say, "I normally drink Bud Light (or some other crap beer), what do you think I would like?"

My standard reply is, "Well all of the beers here have a thing called 'flavor'"

This reminds me of the a huge tasting I attended this past Summer. There were about 50 commercial breweries present and maybe 5 or 6 homebrew booths as well.

Walking around, every single one of the commercial brewers was ready willing and eager to talk about their beer, craft beer, laugh and joke with people, and just be great diplomats for their company and beer in general. They made you want to like their product.

OTOH, a lot of the homebrewers acted like you were about to take a test and likely not worthy of their "product." They made you want to hate their product.

There was a cask ale being served and each time the guys there served a beer they said "you'll probably hate this but this is what good real ale tastes like." They were right about one thing. I did hate it. But it was a terrible real ale that tasted like bitter fresca. But this still stands as the stupidest comment that I've heard about a home brew.

I made a killer hefe over the summer along with a cream ale, saison, (hell a **** load). I had a party at my house one night, my buddy takes a drink of my hefe and told me he thinks my beer is stale because it tastes like bananas. Granted he buys a 30 pack of bud cans a week. At least he had the balls to try my homebrews. A lot of my friends are afraid to try the "Crazy beer" and continue drinking their busch lights out of a can.

I had to add this one today. I brought some IPA to a tailgate and for the most part I try to give it to people that like craft beer. No sense in wasting it on a BMC person that likes carbonated water. My brother made some samples and gave one to a BMC guy. This was his reaction which was definitely classic "This tastes like cider" I have no idea what he was talking about.

I had my sister-in-law try an IPA that had just got ready to drink. Her response: Wow this tastes just like coors light...

I think it's a sign that maybe I should never make another batch...

I had my sister-in-law try an IPA that had just got ready to drink. Her response: Wow this tastes just like coors light...

I think it's a sign that maybe I should never make another batch...

Don't give up because of other people's opinions! As long as YOU'RE digging your own beer, it's all good. Keep brewing!

This wasn't a comment on my beer directly.

I had a coworker asking me last night how long it takes from putting everything together to when you can drink a beer. I said "Well, there are some that can be ready in 3 to 4 weeks (even though 3 would be pushing it for those), most a month and a half to two months, but barleywines can age up to a year or longer." After I say barleywines he goes "no, I meant actual beers." :drunk:

"I don't like dark beers"
'is it like guiness"
"if you can get it to taste like busch lite,it will be worth the work"

As for my opinion,now that I brew,I can appreciate all things drank.I do beer and my wife does wine.(so fitting).I even respect the fine gentelmen who brought us Hamms.

This isn't really in regards to homebrew, but a funny story nonetheless.

I was at michigan brewing co. a while ago picking up stuff for a batch, the guy at the counter was ringing up stuff for someone else. The phone rings and dude at the counter picks it up...

"Michigan Brewing Company how can I help you?"...

The clerk then suddenly gets a really confused look on his face...

"Um...Well, we're a brewery, we brew good flavorful beers. We only sell what we make here.."

After a little more awkward conversation, the clerk hangs up the phone. The guy in front of me in line says "OK, I I gotta ask, what did he want?"

"He asked me if we sell imported beers."

Priceless.

This is an awesome thread. My favorite comment by far (not sure who said it):

I brought 2 gallons of apfelwine to a party

them: "Wow! this is good! did you put vodka in this?"
me: "no, but I put honey in it"
them: "It's not sweet at all"
me: "the yeast fermented it out into alcohol"
them: "thats gross" *puts drink down"

:D

Don't see why this is a stupid comment. I completely agree with this. My bottled beers all had a similar off taste that "magically" went away with kegging. Then during the GWR Bitter swap, all 3 people that sent me bottles had bottled naturally with sugar and I tasted the same "off" taste (this was before asking them if they naturally carbed). I've not had many people's bottled HB, but everyone I've had has had this taste.

Don't see why this is a stupid comment. I completely agree with this. My bottled beers all had a similar off taste that "magically" went away with kegging. Then during the GWR Bitter swap, all 3 people that sent me bottles had bottled naturally with sugar and I tasted the same "off" taste (this was before asking them if they naturally carbed). I've not had many people's bottled HB, but everyone I've had has had this taste.

That's weird!! I bottle condition and keg about 50/50 and don't taste anything like that (unless the beer is green!). The only difference I notice is clarity.

A fellow brewer told he didn't really like my saison because it didn't have "that bacon kind of flavor" that his has.

was it served in this?

baconmug.jpg

That's weird!! I bottle condition and keg about 50/50 and don't taste anything like that (unless the beer is green!). The only difference I notice is clarity.

Not fishing for free beer, but I'd love to taste your bottle conditioned brew sometime. Maybe once I get my current two brews (simcoe blonde and orfy's mild) carbed up in the keg we can do a personal swap?

I just got my first stupid comment last night. After taking a sip all a buddy of mine said was "apples". I thought I knew what he meant by it but then I just said "pears......... oranges..............uh......pineapple." He got confused as hell. Then said no no I meant did you put apples in this. He wouldn't believe me that there wasn't. Then he asked what was in it. He didn't like the answer of grains, hops, water, and yeast.

I'm sure these are all repeats:

"You brewed this??"
"Yup"
"Is it like Alexander Keiths?"
"No it's a real IPA" ...I go on to explain why Alexander Keiths is not close to a real IPA.
**takes a swig***
"Ya...you should brew Alexander Keiths.."

or...

"You should brew Guiness!"... 2 months later
me- "I'm brewing Guiness"
"Why? we're the only ones that would drink it?!"

or to the SWMBO...

"Try this beer I think you'll like it." --- It's Youngs Double Chocolate stout.
her... "It's Chocolate!!! I like it! what kind of beer is it?"
"A Chocolate Stout"
her... "Oh... too bad I don't like dark beers"

*Sigh....

comments from co workers on a blonde ale that came out great, nottingham yeast.

"tastes like blue moon"

"i can taste the hops this is really bitter!"

"it isnt carbonated enough"

"how will I not get sick after drinking this! look at the **** on the bottom"

I can't say many comments on my beers yet. A lot of my friends have said my homebrewed carbonated meads taste a lot like Trappist style ales. Interesting...

Otherwise, giving my dad (not a heavy drinker, but drinks light BMC beers) his first apa, he put on his grim face; something along these lines (LOL):
zirl9u.jpg

And not directly related to beer tasting but I get this ALL the time from my grandma:
"What have you been up to?"
-Just hanging out and brewing beer mostly
"Oh, brewing beer. How much do you make?"
-The average batch is about 5-6 gallons
"Oh, Dave! You drink all of that?"
-Eventually, yeah, lol.
"Don't drink that much beer, we don't want you becoming an alcoholic now!"

I proceed to explain to her that it isn't like one big beer (lol), it's bottled and set aside until I or someone wants one. Continuing the conversation...

"So, what do you want for Christmas"
-Well, I was going to ask you to get me a barley crusher but I bought it already since I know you don't like to shop online
"I don't want any of the money I give you to go towards alcohol!"

It's always an interesting conversation..

I recently got, "I can't taste any alcohol in this. Is there any alcohol in this?"

I really can't remember the last time I tried a beer and thought, "Hmm I can really taste the alcohol."

I recently got, "I can't taste any alcohol in this. Is there any alcohol in this?"

I really can't remember the last time I tried a beer and thought, "Hmm I can really taste the alcohol."

Haha, thats awesome. I cant either.

As far as I go, I've been pretty lucky when other people try my brew. I've had no negative (or stupid) comments as of yet.

The only thing that has happened is giving my bro and his (now ex) gf a couple pints on our Sunday family dinner...is next week I asked them how they liked it "GREAT!" they said....

We were at their place for dinner on Fathers Day like a month later...I opened up their fridge and lo and behold! Theres my brew, unopened and cold as hell.

I didnt call them on their lie, I just drank the beer :rockin:

Wow, finally made it through the entire thread. Good stuff!

The only real comment I have gotten is "wow, can't really chug this stuff can you? It's more of a sit and enjoy type of beer."

Side Note: I am married to one of those apparently hard to find ladies that enjoys a variety of beers just as much as I do. It's very nice.

Happy Holidays!

This isn't quite a comment, but...I poured a Strawberry Wheat for a friend of mine with a beautiful, fluffy white head (the beer, not my friend) and the first thing she does is slide a finger down the side of her oily nose, sticks it in the beer and starts stirring it around to get rid of the head. It's a good thing I'm not a violent man by nature.

This isn't quite a comment, but...I poured a Strawberry Wheat for a friend of mine with a beautiful, fluffy white head (the beer, not my friend) and the first thing she does is slide a finger down the side of her oily nose, sticks it in the beer and starts stirring it around to get rid of the head. It's a good thing I'm not a violent man by nature.

Oh god, I raged

First: Ew.
Second: Really?!?

You sir are my long lost twin. I HATE it when someone says, "Not Bad." Couldn't you say something more productive like, "This is good and I wasn't expecting to enjoy it." Or just tell me that it is nasty. I am not going to serve something that I think tastes like monkey butt. Now, if I have a lambic and you don't know it is going to be sour, then by god I will explain to you the characteristics, let you know that I am not going to give you a glass, but you can taste. If you like it, we will go from there.

I did that experiment with some Two Buck Chuck at a wine party. I put it into a $120 bottle of wine bottle and told everyone that it was a very expensive bottle, that I only wanted the people that really enjoy wine to try it and if you don't think you are snobby enough then don't drink it. Every one of the people were so freaking high up that they tasted things in it that I didn't even know existed. Here they were waxing poetic under the assumption that the wine was expensive and meanwhile I just sat back and let them have a good time. They even clapped me on the back and thanked me for bringing such a rare and spectacular treat.

Years ago one of the news shows did a feature and I remember a whiskey maker. He decided if he dropped his price, he would have more sales. So, he drops his price, sales go down. So, he raises his price, sales go up. Conclusion? People didn't know a damned thing about whiskey other than they ASS U ME d that the more they paid the better the whiskey.

I was in an art museum in New York. Forget which one. Forget the guy that got rich/famous painting a totally black canvas. It was there. Some guy is closely scrutinizing the thing saying, wait, wait, I think I see something here,.. His wife is saying "It's just BLACK!". My friend is muttering something about the emperor's new clothes. :D

Years ago one of the news shows did a feature and I remember a whiskey maker. He decided if he dropped his price, he would have more sales. So, he drops his price, sales go down. So, he raises his price, sales go up. Conclusion? People didn't know a damned thing about whiskey other than they ASS U ME d that the more they paid the better the whiskey.

:off:You're on to something. I've been to some very well stocked bars tasting their finest scotch, and found that some of the more expensive stuff tastes like over-smoked gym socks steeped in rubbing alcohol. I think this theory can be extended by saying that some beverage snobs will drink something that tastes terrible because the 'unitiated' have no taste for it, and it makes them feel exclusive. Now, don't get me wrong, I like good scotch whiskey, but I'm not going to spend $600 a bottle for that experience when for $50 I can get a bottle of 12 year Irish whiskey that makes me truly believe that that's what they drink in heaven. Here's to hoping the snobs don't discover Irish single malt!:off:

The stupidest thing anyone ever said about my beer was, "this is the best beer I've tasted in my entire life".;)

I went to a very fancy chocolate shop a few months back with SWMBO. There were sacks of cocoa beans tastefully placed here and there, Aztec style art on the walls, uncomfortable minimalist chairs and tables, and there was a window on the chocolate operation. We each bought a strange hot chocolate (with chilli in) for some exhorbitant price.

I looked about me and wondered if it would be possible to do a similar thing with beer. Have a fancy brew pub that's not trying to be an Olde English Pubbe but minimalist trendy place with old scientific illustrations of hops and barley on the walls selling imperial honey apricot wheat beer and imperial chilli chocolate stout for $13 per half pint. I reckon the pseuds would lap that up and throw all their money at it.

So my BIL was over at Thanksgiving and asked to try some of my beer SWMBO poured him my house pale ale, and while she was pouring he said, "Oh no that is too dark (SRM is 6) I really don't like that dark taste." and he wouldn't drink it. So the next day I brewed a 2.5 gal batch of BM's Creme of Three Crops and he tried it last night. Took one sip and said "Man that is really beery tasting. Can you make anything any lighter". I said "sure" and poured him a glass of water. No more beer for him at my house.

I looked about me and wondered if it would be possible to do a similar thing with beer. Have a fancy brew pub that's not trying to be an Olde English Pubbe but minimalist trendy place with old scientific illustrations of hops and barley on the walls selling imperial honey apricot wheat beer and imperial chilli chocolate stout for $13 per half pint. I reckon the pseuds would lap that up and throw all their money at it.

: picks up idea :

: slowly backs out of thread with said idea :

First: Ew.
Second: Really?!?

Yep, I'm saddened to admit I used to not like (beer) head and did the same trick. The oil on you nose disipated (beer) head quite quickly...usually you just dunk your nose in it and that does the trick.

But now, I'm more educated and appreciate (beer) head.

The stupidest thing anyone ever said about my beer was, "this is the best beer I've tasted in my entire life".;)

I went to a very fancy chocolate shop a few months back with SWMBO. There were sacks of cocoa beans tastefully placed here and there, Aztec style art on the walls, uncomfortable minimalist chairs and tables, and there was a window on the chocolate operation. We each bought a strange hot chocolate (with chilli in) for some exhorbitant price.

It's a known fact in business that consumers assume a higher prices = higher quality.

So my BIL was over at Thanksgiving and asked to try some of my beer SWMBO poured him my house pale ale, and while she was pouring he said, "Oh no that is too dark (SRM is 6) I really don't like that dark taste." and he wouldn't drink it. So the next day I brewed a 2.5 gal batch of BM's Creme of Three Crops and he tried it last night. Took one sip and said "Man that is really beery tasting. Can you make anything any lighter". I said "sure" and poured him a glass of water. No more beer for him at my house.

:rockin: I love the way narrowminded people act...like trying something new is gonna kill em. Good for you.

I recently passed out bottles of spiced holiday ale to several coworkers of mine; one person commented that it tasted like an Anchor Steam beer.

:confused::D

a year or so ago there was a bunch of articles in Money magazine and the like, doing a similar story about tuition prices. They had a few dean's go on record saying they increase tuition prices to parents think they're sending their kids to a better institution.

one dean did the same thing as your whiskey dude; lowered tuition, number of new attendees dropped. raised tuition, number increased.

Back