SW Chicago and Burbs - Bulk Grain Offer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, I live in Oak Lawn on the southwest side of greater Chicago-land. Today, I took another trip to Mid-Country Malts and got three 55 lb. bags of malt. They are all from Gambrinus: Organic Pilsen, Organic Munich, and Organic Wheat. One of the reasons I buy in bulk is so that I can do organic brews.

While I will definitely use them all up, this afternoon it occurred to me that I might be able to do some of my fellow brewers a service by offering to split them. The cost was $0.88/lb. for the Pilsen, $0.89/lb. for the Munich and $0.97/lb. for the wheat. It is unground - you are welcome to use my grinder.

Here's some notes from the Mid-Country site, just for kicks . . . .

Gambrinus Malting Corporation has the distinction of being the smallest malting house in North America. The company produces approximately 6,200 US tons of malt each year at its malthouse.

The malthouse originally belonged to the Schlossquell Brewery of Heidelberg, Germany. In 1992 the malthouse was dismantled and shipped to Armstrong, British Columbia, Canada where it still resides today producing some of the finest Canadian 2-Row malts available.

Gambrinus Pilsen (1.3-1.8°L)
An excellent choice for brewing light lagers and Pilsner type beers, this malt is low in total protein and high in extract.

Gambrinus Munich Light (Munich 90) (9.5-10.5°L)
This sweet, mellow Munich malt is designed to produce amber beers or traditional Munich style beers with well-balanced malty characteristics.

Gambrinus Organic Malts
Produced from Certified Organic Canadian 2-Row Barley and Wheat, Gambrinus Organic malts are ideally suited for Organic beers of all types.

I work in the city so might also be able to arrange to drop some off in the city, also. Otherwise, you would come to my home to pick up (and time permitting, perhaps share a homebrew). If you are interested, reply to this thread or send me a pm.

Cheers! :mug:

Where is Mid-Country located? I'd be interested in buying bulk from them myself at those prices.

Their warehouse is in South Holland (about 167th Street and Halsted) in the far south suburbs. The Country Malt Group

You look at their price book online (its a pdf file) then call the toll free number and place your order. Then go out to the warehouse in South Holland to pick it up.

Thanks. I concidered buying from you, but a drive to Chicago for 10-20 lbs of grain isn't worth it. Plus, I'd go through that grain in 1-2 batches.

Thanks. I concidered buying from you, but a drive to Chicago for 10-20 lbs of grain isn't worth it. Plus, I'd go through that grain in 1-2 batches.

I agree - driving from Rockford would make no sense at all. As I said in the OP, if this helps someone, great - if not, then I will definitely use the grain!

Hey Jim! I might take a small amount of that off your hands! I'll PM you once I figure out what I need. I get all my base grain from Mid-Country. I'm low right now and need to make another trip over there, but my time is tight right now. Your offer might tide me over until then. Thanks!

I gotta get down to Mid Country at some point. They open during the weekends?

No idea. But you can't just show up - it's a warehouse where they ship out to breweries in the Midwest, not a homebrew store. For example, they don't start to give a quantity discount until you agree to buy 1,000 lbs. Look at their website, download their price booklet, call the number to place your

Well, thats a collosal pain in the butt. I work M-F 8:30-5.

Yea, me too but am off atleast for this weak and am going to pick up a bag or to from them since I have the opening.

The last time that I bought from them they did not sell hops does anyone know if they have started? Just the location in NY sold hops back then.

When I looked at their catalogue/price book last week, they listed hops.

Yea, me too but am off atleast for this weak and am going to pick up a bag or to from them since I have the opening.

The last time that I bought from them they did not sell hops does anyone know if they have started? Just the location in NY sold hops back then.

They list items like hops and StarSan in their catalog, but I don't think they stock them. Everytime I've been there, grain is all you see. Last time I did a group buy, one of the guys wanted to get StarSan, but they would have had to ship it to him, so he dropped it from his order and got it at the LHBS for about the same price.

I realize this thread is years old but I thought I would reply thinking that once a brewer always a brewer. I live very near Oak Lawn (in facts my brother own a home in Oak Lawn) and I am interested in purchasing some of the stock you get from South Holland. I am also interested in get some lessons from a pro. I own a HVAC company in Chicago and have a service as ell as a parts counter in Gage Park. I have a 25 year background in control work and design and have literally hundreds of thousands of parts in the warehouse. I would like to talk with you and see if you might give me some tips and pointers. Thanks Mitch I can be reached through my website or by phone at www.773hotcold.com this is also the number.

Hi Mitch, welcome to HBT.

Since this thread was started, Mid Country changed the way they deal with homebrewers - they only sell to folks who were previous customers and bought from them within a year. I missed out on the year deadline, so was dropped.

Now, I either buy in bulk from our local homebrew store (BevArt in the Beverly neighborhood, around 101st and Western) or I go in with some guys from the homebrew club I participate with - Brewers of South Suburbia or B.O.S.S. BOSS has a website, at www.bossbeer.org, if you're looking to visit with brewers, you would probably like coming to the meetings.

Feel free to send me a private message if you want to talk or need more info.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back