Good beer stores near Philly?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PearlJamNoCode

Reaction score
Hello all... I live around Philly and am in search of a good place to buy singles. Due to PA's awful case law its tough to get singles for a decent price here. I've been to Total Wine in Claymont, DE a few times but their singles selection isn't that great. Any places in DE or NJ that aren't too far from Philly that anybody here frequents?

freyguy said:
State line liquors in Elkton MD is prob about a 45min drive for you, but their selection is awesome.

Also, check out this blog. He is from philly and just posted up about a store he went to:
http://www.brewlounge.com/

Valida is a bit further out of the city
Edit: their selection is on their site
http://vidaliamarketplace.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19&Itemid=30

Granted, State Line is cool but there is really no need to make that drive unless there is something specific in mind.

You are indeed in a good area...the best thing to do is come into town and go to either one of the Foodery locations (10th and Pine OR 2nd and Poplar.) A Massive selection of per bottle purchases awaits you.
http://www.fooderybeer.com/
Bob

Another vote for the Foodery. Go to the one at 2nd and Poplar, and grab yourself a pint at Standard Tap while you're there.

If you are in Jersey, the Canal's in Burlington is supposed to be good, although I've never been. Just going by what my dad tells me.

And if you happen to be up in the area Circle Liquors in Pennington or Ewing, although I'm pretty sure that's Pennington is great. And the Joe Canal's in Lawrenceville is also great.

Finally there is Monster Beverage in... Glassboro I think. Most of my Jersey places aren't exactly right over the bridge, but they all carry really good selections.

The Canal's in Burlington is pretty good, there's also one in Pennsauken on Rt. 38. Never been there, but their selection might be pretty good.

I think with the Canal's it depends on the owner/manager. I know a couple really good ones, while others are just okay. The two within 5 minutes of me happen to be just okay of course.

FWIW, I can't say enough good stuff about Capones...Germantown Pike right up from the Plymouth Meeting Mall in Norristown.

You guys in the area should throw some business his way.

Good food and a fantastic beer selection all due to Matt's efforts. He personally hauls stuff from the western half of the state like East End Brewing, Great Lakes and Church Brew Works & gets some killer draft promos going on a regular basis. His bottle selection is fantastic and the fact that he will offer multiple vintages on the shelf is another plus.

PearlJamNoCode said:
Capones sounds like my next stop as I live on Germantown Ave :)

When you go, say hi to Matt!

Introduce yourself to him....you'll be seeing him a whole lot once you check out his selection.

I know this is the exact opposite of what you wanted, but Kunda Beverage in King of Prussia is definitely worth checking out. They only sell cases, but they have some VERY hard to find beer there... Lots of Belgians and Germans. They also have a little touch-screen computer to help you find beers by country/style.

menschmaschine said:
I know this is the exact opposite of what you wanted, but Kunda Beverage in King of Prussia is definitely worth checking out. They only sell cases, but they have some VERY hard to find beer there... Lots of Belgians and Germans. They also have a little touch-screen computer to help you find beers by country/style.

Right now that's a bit of a toss up since Origlio bought them....

The beer yard in wayne however is still kick a$$
http://www.beeryard.com/

Heads up on the next Capone's draft promo:

Wednesday Feb. 20th "pay as you go" start time 11:30.

Ommegang Chocolate
Left Hand Smoke Jumper
Gordon IPA
Gordon Whisky Barrel aged
Nugget Nectar
Green Flash IPA
Rogue J.L.S. Black Brutal
Fort Collins Doppelbock
East End Big Hop IPA
DeRankee XBitter(Belgian)
Victory Baltic Thunder
Ramstein 10th anniversary Barleywine
Mad Elf "06"
Naked Elf
Flying fish Apple Jack brandy aged beer

Capones is the best spot I know of near by to grab singles. The beer yard is absolutely the best "by the case" joint in the area. but there are a whole lot of place i love to go to that have a killer selection, but im not sure of their take out policy....

Drafting Room (exton)
Gulliftys (villanova)

Back